Musk, Ambani join hands in surprise Starlink India internet deal
Both Airtel and Jio deals are conditional upon Starlink obtaining govt approval to begin operations in country
NEW DELHI: Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio signed a deal with Elon Musk’s SpaceX to bring Starlink satellite internet services to India, a surprise move from the billionaires after being at odds for months over how the country should grant them spectrum.
India’s largest telecom operator will stock Starlink equipment in its retail stores, giving Starlink a direct distribution point in thousands of such outlets across the country.
Musk and Ambani had fought intensely over how airwaves should be assigned for satellite internet, with New Delhi finally siding with the allocation approach the US billionaire lobbied for.
Ambani’s Reliance had been concerned that Musk could dominate the telecom space once he launches his products, but the distribution deal will eventually see the Indian billionaire offering his rival’s products in the fast-growing market, while also competing with them.
“While it has been surprising, it’s a prudent strategy for Starlink to enter the India market and a win-win for all the parties involved earlier competing for the pie and now cooperating and sharing,” said Neil Shah, co-founder of research firm Counterpoint.
The Reliance deal follows a similar partnership announcement between Starlink and India’s No. 2 telecom player Bharti Airtel BRTI.NS a day before.
Both the Airtel and Jio deals are conditional upon Starlink obtaining government approval to begin operations in the country.
Airtel shares lost as much as 1 percent in Mumbai trade on Wednesday after the Jio deal was announced, while Reliance Industries RELI.NS was trading marginally higher.
The agreements come weeks after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met with Musk in Washington, where they discussed issues including space, mobility, technology and innovation.
India’s satellite service sector is set to grow 36 percent a year to $1.9 billion by 2030, according to Deloitte.
Starlink has been waiting since 2022 for licenses to operate commercially in India, with no clear timeline yet on a decision. It has been delayed for reasons including national security concerns.
The Jio-SpaceX deal is tied to certain financial terms and will help Reliance offer Starlink products in areas where the Indian company doesn’t have offerings, a source with direct knowledge of the matter said, without disclosing details.
“This is a low-cost entry model” for Starlink in India, the person added.
Jio Platforms, which runs Reliance Jio, will also provide installation and activation support for the Starlink devices.
Reliance said in a statement that Jio and SpaceX are also evaluating other areas of cooperation to leverage their respective infrastructure, without elaborating.
Starlink provides coverage to over 125 markets around the world.
As it awaits a license, it has faced some challenges in India, where authorities seized two of the company’s devices, one in an armed conflict zone and another in a drug smuggling bust, prompting Musk to say that its satellite internet service is inactive in India.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’