Putin vows ‘destruction’ on Ukraine after Kazan drone attack
Putin was addressing local leader of Tatarstan region where Kazan is located in road-opening ceremony
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday vowed to bring more “destruction” to Ukraine in retaliation for a drone attack on the central Russian city of Kazan a day earlier.
Russia accused Ukraine of a “massive” drone attack that hit a luxury apartment block in the city, some 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) from the frontier.
Videos on Russian social media networks showed drones hitting a high-rise glass building and setting off fireballs, though there were no reported casualties as a result of the strike.
“Whoever, and however much they try to destroy, they will face many times more destruction themselves and will regret what they are trying to do in our country,” Putin said during a televised government meeting on Sunday.
Putin was addressing the local leader of Tatarstan, the region where Kazan is located, in a road-opening ceremony via video link.
The strike on Kazan was the latest in a series of escalating aerial attacks in the nearly three-year conflict.
Ukraine has not commented on the strike.
Putin has previously threatened to target the centre of Kyiv with a hypersonic ballistic missile in response to Ukrainian attacks on Russian territory.
And the defence ministry has called Russian strikes on Ukrainian energy facilities over recent weeks retaliatory hits for Kyiv using Western-supplied missiles to hit Russian air bases and arms factories.
The latest threat comes as Russia claimed fresh advances on the battlefield in east Ukraine.
The defence ministry said on Telegram that its troops had “liberated” the villages of Lozova in the northeastern Kharkiv region and Krasnoye -- called Sontsivka in Ukraine.
The latter is close to the resource hub of Kurakhove, which Russia has almost encircled and would be a key prize in Moscow’s attempt to capture the entire Donetsk region.
Russia has accelerated its advance across eastern Ukraine in recent months, looking to secure as much territory as possible before US President-elect Donald Trump comes to power in January.
The Republican has promised to bring a swift end to the nearly three-year-long conflict, without proposing any concrete terms for a ceasefire or peace deal.
Moscow’s army claims to have seized more than 190 Ukrainian settlements this year, with Kyiv struggling to hold the line in the face of manpower and ammunition shortages.
Kyiv on Sunday also accused Russian forces of killing captured Ukrainian soldiers -- an alleged war crimes violation.
A video posted by Ukraine’s 110th separate mechanised brigade showed “the shooting of soldiers who surrendered,” Kyiv’s human rights ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets said in a post on Telegram. He said the video -- aerial footage from a drone of an apparent confrontation between Russian and Ukrainian soldiers -- showed Russians shooting the Ukrainians at point-blank range after they had already surrendered.
AFP could not verify the footage. It is the latest in a string of similar allegations lodged by Ukraine throughout the nearly three-year conflict.
-
Michael B. Jordan Gives Credit To 'All My Children' For Shaping His Career: 'That Was My Education' -
Sun Appears Spotless For First Time In Four Years, Scientists Report -
Bella Hadid Opens Up About 'invisible Illness' -
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton -
Microsoft CEO Shares How Gates Doubted $1bn OpenAI Investment -
Milo Ventimiglia Calls Fatherhood 'pretty Wild Experience' As He Expects Second Baby With Wife Jarah Mariano -
Chinese Scientists Unveil Advanced AI Model To Support Deep-space Exploration -
Anthropic’s New AI Tool Wipes Billions Off Cybersecurity Stocks -
Trump Announces He Is Sending A Hospital Ship To Greenland Amid Rising Diplomatic Tensions -
'Never Have I Ever' Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Lifts The Lid On How She Avoids Drama At Coffee Shops Due To Her Name -
Inside Prince William’s Plans For Prince Harry: What Will Happen To Duke Once He’s King -
Chyler Leigh Pays Moving Homage To 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane: 'He Was Amazing' -
Did You Know Tech CEOs Limit Screen Time For Their Own Kids? -
Matthew Lillard Admits Fashion Trends Are Not His 'forte' -
SpaceX Launches Another Batch Of Satellites From Cape Canaveral During Late-night Mission On Saturday -
Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Get Pulled Into Parents’ Epstein Row: ‘At Least Stop Clinging!’