Pak nukes not meant for export: FO
Sunday Times report about Pak-Saudi nuclear deal is entirely ‘baseless’ and ‘mischievous’; Pak nuclear programme is purely for self-defence, maintenance of credible minimum deterrence; Axact scam investigations going on; Riyadh asked to ensure safety of 15,000 Pakistanis in Najran
By our correspondents
May 22, 2015
ISLAMABAD: Rejecting a Sunday Times report about a nuclear deal between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia as entirely ‘baseless’ and ‘mischievous’, the Foreign Office on Thursday said Pakistan’s nuclear assets were purely meant for self-defence and not export.
“There has been an entirely baseless and mischievous campaign in the international media about Pakistan’s indigenous nuclear programme.“The Sunday Times story appears to be part of that malevolent campaign and is utterly unfounded,” said the Foreign Office spokesperson Qazi M. Khalilullah during the weekly briefing here.
He reiterated that Pakistan enjoyed a robust command and control structure and comprehensive export controls.“Pakistan supports the objectives of non-proliferation as well as nuclear safety and security. As a responsible nuclear state, Pakistan is fully aware of its responsibilities.
“Pakistan’s nuclear programme is purely for its own legitimate self-defence and maintenance of a credible minimum deterrence,” he added.Asked to comment on the government’s position if Saudi Arabia, which is a signatory to the NPT like Iran, should also have the right to peaceful nuclear energy, the spokesman said, “All parties to the NPT have the right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy. This right has been granted to them by the Treaty. It is, therefore, not for me to comment on that”.
Answering queries, the spokesman said so far no country, including the United States, had conveyed concerns to Pakistan about the breath taking Axact scam of fake degrees and diplomas which has taken the country by storm.
The Axact scam reports have been carried in most international newspapers while the social media has seen countless blogs and thousands of tweets making the round these past few days.American citizens too have paid thousands of dollars for these degrees which have been turned down by educational institutes being illegal.
Asked if the US had raised with Pakistan the issue of fake signatures of US Secretary of State John Kerry which Axact had been using on fake degrees and diplomas as stated by the New York Times (NYT) report, the spokesman said, “Investigations are going on. It is not appropriate for me to say anything at this stage. Primarily, it is the subject for the Ministry of Interior and all of you are aware that the Minister of Interior had given a press conference yesterday.
“Today’s newspapers have carried reports about it. No country, including the United States, has conveyed concerns to Pakistan. Everyone is looking forward to the outcome of the investigations”, the spokesman stated.
Earlier, as diplomas containing the seal of the government of the United States and fake signatures of US Secretary of State John Kerry were published by the NYT, the US State Department said it had no connection with the Pakistani software company Axact, which is accused of selling fake degrees around the world.
“The Department of State has no agreement for document authentication with Axact,” a State Department official said, when asked about the company’s alleged use of fake websites, award of bogus degrees, and claims of linkages with American universities which NYT alleged made millions of dollars marketing fake degrees worldwide.
The spokesman, new to his present responsibilities, does not believe in engaging with the media on certain issues like India and RAW’s alleged involvement in Pakistan.With events changing on a daily basis the media maintains the right to be given the latest government position even if there is no change in policy.
When asked on these two issues and whether the FO had sent a dossier to India regarding RAW’s alleged involvement, he responded, “Over the last two weeks, we have talked about what your first question has referred to. The statements made on the issue were carried by the media and are self-explanatory. I am not going to say anything further on that”, he said.
Earlier, to another query, he appeared to be losing patience when he commented, “These questions have been repeatedly asked and we have answered all of them”.Next week the civil and military leadership might once again point finger at India and RAW, and queries will be raised.
The media will “repeatedly” ask these questions again unless the FO starts to distribute questions which should be raised and which would be then answered.The FO also has not provided any proof of RAW’s involvement which would greatly help give credibility to the government’s allegations.
The recent flip-flop of the Sindh chief minister alleging RAW’s involvement in the brutal killings of members of the Ismaili community is an example of the government’s indecisiveness.Pakistanis in NajranAdviser to the Prime Minister on National Security and Foreign Affairs has expressed concern over shelling from Yemen on Najran as 15,000 Pakistanis are living there.
“We have requested Saudi Arabia’s concerned authorities to ensure their safety and they have assured us that all possible measures will be taken in this regard,” the spokesman responded when asked what measures the government was taking to ensure the safety of Pakistanis in the Saudi Arabian city of Najran.
He added that the government was in constant contact with Pakistan’s embassy in this regard.“If need be, we will take an appropriate decision in consultation with the authorities concerned of Saudi Arabia”, the spokesman said hinting that evacuation of Pakistanis could not be ruled out.
“There has been an entirely baseless and mischievous campaign in the international media about Pakistan’s indigenous nuclear programme.“The Sunday Times story appears to be part of that malevolent campaign and is utterly unfounded,” said the Foreign Office spokesperson Qazi M. Khalilullah during the weekly briefing here.
He reiterated that Pakistan enjoyed a robust command and control structure and comprehensive export controls.“Pakistan supports the objectives of non-proliferation as well as nuclear safety and security. As a responsible nuclear state, Pakistan is fully aware of its responsibilities.
“Pakistan’s nuclear programme is purely for its own legitimate self-defence and maintenance of a credible minimum deterrence,” he added.Asked to comment on the government’s position if Saudi Arabia, which is a signatory to the NPT like Iran, should also have the right to peaceful nuclear energy, the spokesman said, “All parties to the NPT have the right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy. This right has been granted to them by the Treaty. It is, therefore, not for me to comment on that”.
Answering queries, the spokesman said so far no country, including the United States, had conveyed concerns to Pakistan about the breath taking Axact scam of fake degrees and diplomas which has taken the country by storm.
The Axact scam reports have been carried in most international newspapers while the social media has seen countless blogs and thousands of tweets making the round these past few days.American citizens too have paid thousands of dollars for these degrees which have been turned down by educational institutes being illegal.
Asked if the US had raised with Pakistan the issue of fake signatures of US Secretary of State John Kerry which Axact had been using on fake degrees and diplomas as stated by the New York Times (NYT) report, the spokesman said, “Investigations are going on. It is not appropriate for me to say anything at this stage. Primarily, it is the subject for the Ministry of Interior and all of you are aware that the Minister of Interior had given a press conference yesterday.
“Today’s newspapers have carried reports about it. No country, including the United States, has conveyed concerns to Pakistan. Everyone is looking forward to the outcome of the investigations”, the spokesman stated.
Earlier, as diplomas containing the seal of the government of the United States and fake signatures of US Secretary of State John Kerry were published by the NYT, the US State Department said it had no connection with the Pakistani software company Axact, which is accused of selling fake degrees around the world.
“The Department of State has no agreement for document authentication with Axact,” a State Department official said, when asked about the company’s alleged use of fake websites, award of bogus degrees, and claims of linkages with American universities which NYT alleged made millions of dollars marketing fake degrees worldwide.
The spokesman, new to his present responsibilities, does not believe in engaging with the media on certain issues like India and RAW’s alleged involvement in Pakistan.With events changing on a daily basis the media maintains the right to be given the latest government position even if there is no change in policy.
When asked on these two issues and whether the FO had sent a dossier to India regarding RAW’s alleged involvement, he responded, “Over the last two weeks, we have talked about what your first question has referred to. The statements made on the issue were carried by the media and are self-explanatory. I am not going to say anything further on that”, he said.
Earlier, to another query, he appeared to be losing patience when he commented, “These questions have been repeatedly asked and we have answered all of them”.Next week the civil and military leadership might once again point finger at India and RAW, and queries will be raised.
The media will “repeatedly” ask these questions again unless the FO starts to distribute questions which should be raised and which would be then answered.The FO also has not provided any proof of RAW’s involvement which would greatly help give credibility to the government’s allegations.
The recent flip-flop of the Sindh chief minister alleging RAW’s involvement in the brutal killings of members of the Ismaili community is an example of the government’s indecisiveness.Pakistanis in NajranAdviser to the Prime Minister on National Security and Foreign Affairs has expressed concern over shelling from Yemen on Najran as 15,000 Pakistanis are living there.
“We have requested Saudi Arabia’s concerned authorities to ensure their safety and they have assured us that all possible measures will be taken in this regard,” the spokesman responded when asked what measures the government was taking to ensure the safety of Pakistanis in the Saudi Arabian city of Najran.
He added that the government was in constant contact with Pakistan’s embassy in this regard.“If need be, we will take an appropriate decision in consultation with the authorities concerned of Saudi Arabia”, the spokesman said hinting that evacuation of Pakistanis could not be ruled out.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France