Arnold quits as coach of Australia men’s football team
SYNDEY: Graham Arnold has quit as coach of the Socceroos, Football Australia said Friday, following a poor start to the third round of qualifying for the 2026 World Cup.
“I love Australian football but I´m worn out from the game and I need a break,” said the 61-year-old, who had been in charge since 2018. Arnold departs after a shock 1-0 home defeat to Bahrain earlier this month then a goalless draw at Indonesia that left Australia with one point from their opening two matches in the decisive third round of qualifying for 2026.
Arnold, who took the Socceroos to the last 16 of the Qatar World Cup, said he had been considering his future since Australia lost to South Korea in the Asian Cup quarter-finals in February.
“I truly went to the Asian Cup thinking we were going to win it. Over the last six months I have tried to convince myself to keep going, but in my gut it hasn´t felt right,” he said. Following last week´s draw with Indonesia, the under-pressure Arnold showed his frustration after his team squandered a string of opportunities.
Bayern Munich teenager Nestory Irankunda hit the post with Australia´s best chance as the Socceroos had 19 shots but failed to score for the second consecutive match. “I said after our game against Indonesia that I had some decisions to make, and after deep reflection, my gut has told me it´s time for change, both for myself and the programme,” he said.
“I´ve given absolutely everything I can to the role and I am immensely proud of what has been achieved during my tenure.” The former Australia international had coached the team since August 2018, taking over from ex-Netherlands boss Bert van Marwijk.
In the knockout rounds of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Australia tested eventual champions Argentina before losing 2-1 after goals by Julian Alvarez and Lionel Messi. The Socceroos beat Denmark and Tunisia in the group stages for their best-ever showing at a World Cup, but Arnold had his critics with some saying the team lacked style and were too defensive.
Arnold´s six-year tenure was his second stint in charge having also been interim boss in 2006-7. Under his stewardship, Australia set a new record in winning 11 consecutive matches to qualify for Qatar, a feat unmatched in FIFA history.
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony