UK mobile phone firm says don’t give smartphones to kids under 11
UK parents have increasingly started to push back against trend of giving children one of devices when they transfer from primary to secondary school at age of 11
LONDON: One of Britain’s biggest mobile network operators said on Sunday it will warn parents they should not give smartphones to children under the age of 11.
The new guidance comes after growing concern from parents about the potential pitfalls of smartphone access for young people. A recent study by the UK communications regulator found around a quarter of British children aged between five and seven-years-old now had a smartphone.
EE will say in new guidance that children should only be given phones with “limited capability devices” allowing them only to text and call. It will also advise enabling parental control features for teens under the age of 16 and restrictions on social media for the under-13s.
UK parents have increasingly started to push back against the trend of giving children one of the devices when they transfer from primary to secondary school at the age of 11.
Widely justified on safety grounds in case of an emergency on the way to or from school, parents fear the phones also potentially open children up to online predators, bullying, social pressure and harmful content.
“While technology and connectivity have the power to transform lives, we recognise the growing complexity of smartphones can be challenging for parents and caregivers,” said Mat Sears, EE corporate affairs director.
“They need support, which is why we are launching new guidelines on smartphone usage for under 11s, 11 to 13-year-olds, and 13 to 16-year-olds to help them make the best choices for their children through these formative years.”
US author Jonathan Haidt -- whose recent book “The Anxious Generation” argued that smartphones have rewired children’s brains -- has urged parents to act together on smartphone access so it becomes the norm for children not to have one.
A child “breaks our heart” by telling us they are excluded from their peer group by being the only one without a phone, he said earlier this year.
Haidt advocates for no smartphones before the age of 14 or social media before 16.
“These things are hard to do as one parent. But if we all do it together -- if even half of us do it together -- then it becomes much easier for our kids,” he added.
-
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens