IHC directs authorities to grant permission to PTI for Islamabad power show
Deputy Commissioner Islamabad Irfan Nawaz Memon, when contacted, said that the application of PTI leadership had been denied over serious security issues
ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) Wednesday directed authorities in the federal capital to grant permission to the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) to hold a public gathering in the city.
“One’s right of assembly cannot be taken away,” IHC Chief Justice Aamer Farooq said while hearing PTI’s petition seeking the court’s permission to hold a public rally in Islamabad against alleged rigging and election result manipulation in the February 8 polls.
The judge’s remarks come after the district administration had turned down PTI’s request, filed by party leader Aamir Mughal, for the power show on March 30 citing “law and order” concerns.
Deputy Commissioner Islamabad Irfan Nawaz Memon, when contacted, said that the application of PTI leadership had been denied over serious security issues.
Meanwhile, Inspector General of Police (IGP), Islamabad, Akbar Nasir, had also earlier warned the PTI to avoid holding rallies without getting lawful permission from the concerned authorities or face stringent action.
During Wednesday’s hearing, IHC CJ Farooq underscored that public gatherings are for everyone and directed the authorities to finalise the terms and conditions with the PTI regarding the public gathering.
The government’s counsel complained that the party had violated previous agreements with the administration. “Do not impose unusual conditions. Allow them [to hold the public gathering] as per the standard terms of reference,” the chief justice responded.
Furthermore, attending the hearing, PTI leader Sher Afzal Marwat said that the party now wishes to hold a public gathering on April 6 instead of March 30.
“Life doesn’t come to a halt,” CJ Farooq further said while responding to the government’s lawyer’s contention regarding Tuesday’s terrorist attack that killed six people, including five Chinese engineers in Shangla, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The state counsel asked for time to respond after getting directions. The judge stressed that he had the authority to decide on the matter and that he wasn’t seeking the former’s consent.
Speaking to the PTI lawyer, CJ Farooq said that they should ensure that the public gathering remains free of commotion and any sort of vandalism.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports