Saudi Arabia halts $3bn package to Lebanese army
DUBAI: Saudi Arabia has suspended a $3 billion aid package for the Lebanese army to buy French arms, its state news agency said on Friday, in what an official described as a response to Beirut’s failure to condemn attacks on the kingdom’s missions in Iran.
The SPA agency also quoted an official source as saying in a statement that Saudi Arabia has also cancelled the remainder of $1 billion in aid it had earmarked for Lebanon’s internal security service.
Saudi Arabia pledged the aid package for the Lebanese army in 2013 in what then-Lebanese President Michel Suleiman called the largest grant ever to the country’s armed forces.
The first shipment of French weapons and military equipment had already been delivered to Lebanon in April last year under the Saudi-funded deal to bolster the Lebanese army’s fight against Islamist militants encroaching from neighbouring Syria.
A Lebanese security source said Lebanon had not received a formal notification of the decision.
In the statement, the Saudi official said Riyadh had always stood with Lebanon and supported the country through difficult times.
"Despite these honourable stands, the kingdom of Saudi Arabia had been met with Lebanese stands that are against it on Arab, regional and international arenas, in the shadow of the confiscation of the will of the state by the so-called Lebanese Hizbullah," the statement said. Hizbullah is the Iranian-backed group that wields major power in Lebanon. Saudi Arabia is the arch-regional rival of Iran.
The SPA statement said Lebanon, at recent meetings of the Arab League and the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, had failed to condemn "the blatant aggression on the kingdom’s embassy in Tehran and the consulate in Mashhad," last month.
It was referring to an attack by Iranian demonstrators protesting over the execution by Saudi Arabia of a senior Shia cleric convicted of incitement to violence. Saudi Arabia severed diplomatic relations with Iran over the attacks on its missions.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France