Court seeks record of land for train project
LAHORE
A Lahore High Court division bench on Monday directed the Punjab government to submit all PC-I (Project Charters) and complete record of the land acquired for the project of Orange Line Metro Train (OLMT).
Earlier, Advocate General Punjab Shakilur Rehman Khan stated in his conclusive arguments that the project of the OLMT was a public welfare project and initiated after meeting all legal requirements.
The counsel representing civil society and other petitioners argued that the government presented before the court only one PC-I of the project whereas, he alleged, three PC-I were issued. He said the cost of the project was not Rs160 billion but more than Rs250 billion.
He said the payments made against acquisition of public and private land by the government should also be included in the cost of the main project.
The bench comprising Justice Abid Aziz Sheikh and Justice Shahid Karim directed the government to submit within a week record of all PC-I and land acquired for the project.
The bench adjourned hearing for Tuesday (today) with direction to petitioners’ counsel to come up with arguments on laws relating to protection of heritage sites.
The bench had already stayed construction of the project within 200-foot radius of 11 heritage sites, including Shalimar Garden, Chauburji, GPO building and shrine of Baba Mauj Darya.
The petitioners mainly stated that multi-billion project of the metro train was not approved by Punjab Assembly.
They said the project put heritage of the Lahore city at stake as 26 historical and protected monuments were going to lose their significance. They said the government was utilising funds allocated for other sectors like education and health for the project of metro train.
The petitioners pointed out that Unesco also opposed the project for being a serious threat to environment and other reasons.
Notice: The Lahore High Court on Monday suspended the impugned notification of stopping conveyance allowance to teachers during summer or winter vacation.
Justice Sajjad Mehmood Sethi also issued notice to the provincial government for May 16 on a petition moved on behalf of the Punjab Teachers Union. Petitioner counsel said that the government had put a ban on payment of this allowance which was unjust and discriminatory. He said there was no such cut on salary for the employees of other government departments.
Judge also issued notice to the provincial government for May 16 on a petition moved on behalf of the Punjab Teachers Union.
Petitioner counsel said that the government had put a ban on payment of this allowance which was unjust and discriminatory. He said there was no such cut on salary for the employees of other government departments.
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again