British consulate worker freed in China: police
BEIJING: An employee at the British Consulate in Hong Kong who was detained on the mainland has been released, Chinese police have said.
Public security authorities in Shenzhen said Simon Cheng Man-kit was released as scheduled after 15 days of administrative detention.
The Luohu public security bureau in Shenzhen, the mainland city neighbouring Hong Kong, made the announcement on its Weibo microblog account. Cheng was detained for violating mainland Chinese law and “confessed to his illegal acts”, the statement said, without providing further details.
A Hong Kong police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Cheng had returned to the city.
“Simon is released. Simon is safe,” said Max Chung, organiser of a rally earlier this week to urge the British government to step up efforts to free Cheng.
“We’ve just managed to talk to him over the phone,” he said, adding that Cheng would answer any further questions but did not say when.
Cheng’s detention stoked tensions in semi-autonomous Hong Kong, which has been rocked by months of anti-government protests.
Cheng, a Scottish government trade and investment officer, was hired locally and did not have a diplomatic passport.
He was detained after he left for a business trip on the mainland at a Hong Kong high-speed train station.
The Chinese government has said he was detained for violating public order regulations.
Meanwhile, pro-democracy protesters have taken to the streets again, this time to call for the removal of “smart lampposts” that raised fears of increased surveillance.
Activists fear the lampposts in Kowloon could contain cameras and facial recognition software. One such lamppost has been cut down by demonstrators in Kowloon with an electric saw, while others pulled ropes tied around it. They cheered as it toppled over.
Carrying umbrellas in the sweltering heat, protesters filled a main road in the Kwun Tong district and chanted slogans calling for the government to answer the movement’s demands.
March organizer Ventus Lau said: “Hong Kong people’s private information is already being extradited to China. We have to be very concerned.”
Some protesters set up makeshift barricades on a road outside a police station, facing off with police in riot gear.
Hong Kong’s government-owned subway system operator MTR shut down stations and suspended train service near the protest route, after attacks by Chinese state media accusing it of helping protesters flee in previous protests.
MTR said on Friday that it may close stations near protests under high risk or emergency situations.
The company has until now kept stations open and trains running even when there have been chaotic skirmishes between protesters and police. Lau said MTR was working with the government to “suppress freedom of expression”.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France