Indian airline defends ‘sophisticated’ Boeing 737 MAX
MUMBAI: Indian airline SpiceJet jumped to the defence of the Boeing 737 MAX on Tuesday even as countries grounded the aircraft following the Ethiopian Airlines crash.
"The Boeing 737 MAX is a highly sophisticated aircraft," SpiceJet, which has 13 B-737 MAX 8 planes in its 75-aircraft fleet, said in a statement. "It has flown hundreds of thousands of hours globally and some of the world’s largest airlines are flying this aircraft," it added.
South Korea on Tuesday became the latest country to suspend operations of the Boeing 737 MAX 8, following Singapore, China and Indonesia.
Australia barred all 737 MAX planes from its airspace while US authorities ordered Boeing to improve anti-stalling software and the model’s manoeuvring system. On Sunday an Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 went down minutes into a flight to Nairobi, killing all 157 people on board.
It came after a Lion Air jet of the same model crashed in Indonesia in October, killing 189. India’s aviation regulator said on Monday it had imposed additional "interim" safety requirements for ground engineers and crew for the aircraft but stopped short of ordering their grounding.
SpiceJet said it had implemented the additional "precautionary measures" and was "actively engaged" with Boeing and the Indian Directorate General of Civil Aviation. The only other Indian airline to have the Boeing in its fleet is Jet Airways.
Jet, which has had to ground parts of its fleet in recent weeks due to its financial woes, said earlier that none of its five B-737 MAX aircraft was in operation. SpiceJet was relaunched as a low-cost carrier in 2004 after being bought by industrialist Ajay Singh. It is now India’s number four airline. India’s aviation sector is expected to become the world’s third-largest by 2025, with passenger numbers booming six-fold over the past decade.
-
EU Rejects Any Rise In US Tariffs After Court Ruling, Says ‘a Deal Is A Deal’ -
King Charles Congratulates Team GB Over Winter Olympics Success -
Meryl Streep Comeback In 'Mamma Mia 3' On The Cards? Studio Head Shares Promising Update -
Woman Allegedly Used ChatGPT To Plan Murders Of Two Men, Police Say -
UK Seeks ‘best Possible Deal’ With US As Tariff Threat Looms -
Andrew Arrest Fallout: Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Face Demands Over Dropping Royal Titles -
Rebecca Gayheart Breaks Silence After Eric Dane's Death -
Kate Middleton 2026 BAFTA Dress Honours Queen Elizabeth Priceless Diamonds -
Sterling K. Brown's Wife Ryan Michelle Bathe Reveals Initial Hesitation Before Taking On New Role -
BAFTA Film Awards Winners: Complete List Of Winners -
Millie Bobby Brown On Her Desire To Have A Big Brood With Husband Jake Bongiovi -
Backstreet Boys Admit Aging Changed Everything Before Shows -
Biographer Exposes Aftermath Of Meghan Markle’s Emotional Breakdown -
Ryan Coogler Makes Rare Statements About His Impact On 'Black Cinema' -
Rising Energy Costs Put UK Manufacturing Competitiveness At Risk, Industry Groups Warn -
Kate Middleton Makes Glitzy Return To BAFTAs After Cancer Diagnosis