ATC judge hearing Benazir case transferred
RAWALPIND: Once again, the judge of Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC), Rawalpindi, hearing the Benazir murder case has been transferred. This time it is Pervez Ismael Joya who has been transferred as the District and Sessions Judge, Chakwal. The transfer orders were issued by the government on Tuesday. More than six years
By our correspondents
April 01, 2015
RAWALPIND: Once again, the judge of Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC), Rawalpindi, hearing the Benazir murder case has been transferred. This time it is Pervez Ismael Joya who has been transferred as the District and Sessions Judge, Chakwal. The transfer orders were issued by the government on Tuesday.
More than six years have passed and six judges have been changed, but the murder case of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto has been pending since 2008 with the ATC.
The first woman premier of the Muslim world was assassinated on December 27, 2007, in a gun-and-bomb attack at the end of her party’s rally in Liaquat Bagh, Rawalpindi. Since then, six ATC judges have been changed, while one judge — Chaudhry Habibur Rehman — retired on December 24, 2014.
Chaudhry Azhar, Special Prosecutor of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), is pursuing the case since May after thespecial prosecutor of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), is pursuing the case since May after the murder of Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ahmed, who remained the special prosecutor for five years.
According to FIA Special Public Prosecutor Chaudhry Azhar a total of 49 witnesses out of the total 52 have got their statement recorded. He said that during the year 2013, 45 hearings of the case have taken place. He held former president Pervez Musharraf responsible for delaying the case, saying that after his arrival the trial was restarted.
The court started the trial de novo because Musharraf was also an accused in this case. On August 19, ATC indicted him on three counts: criminally conspiring, abetting and murdering Bhutto.
So far, eight accused have been charged in the case. These include former president Pervez Musharraf, former DIG Saud Aziz and former SP Khurram Shehzad. The court has also charged a minor, Aitzaz Shah.
More than six years have passed and six judges have been changed, but the murder case of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto has been pending since 2008 with the ATC.
The first woman premier of the Muslim world was assassinated on December 27, 2007, in a gun-and-bomb attack at the end of her party’s rally in Liaquat Bagh, Rawalpindi. Since then, six ATC judges have been changed, while one judge — Chaudhry Habibur Rehman — retired on December 24, 2014.
Chaudhry Azhar, Special Prosecutor of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), is pursuing the case since May after thespecial prosecutor of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), is pursuing the case since May after the murder of Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ahmed, who remained the special prosecutor for five years.
According to FIA Special Public Prosecutor Chaudhry Azhar a total of 49 witnesses out of the total 52 have got their statement recorded. He said that during the year 2013, 45 hearings of the case have taken place. He held former president Pervez Musharraf responsible for delaying the case, saying that after his arrival the trial was restarted.
The court started the trial de novo because Musharraf was also an accused in this case. On August 19, ATC indicted him on three counts: criminally conspiring, abetting and murdering Bhutto.
So far, eight accused have been charged in the case. These include former president Pervez Musharraf, former DIG Saud Aziz and former SP Khurram Shehzad. The court has also charged a minor, Aitzaz Shah.
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony