Relieved US athletes welcome Olympic postponement: Trump to attend Olympics in 2021
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Wednesday praised Japan’s decision to delay the Tokyo Olympics over the coronavirus pandemic and indicated he will attend the rescheduled games next year.
“Congratulations to Prime Minister Abe of Japan, and the IOC, on their very wise decision to present the Olympics in 2021,” Trump tweeted. “It will be a great success, and I look forward to being there!”
Trump faces a reelection battle this year and his campaign has likewise been upended by the global pandemic, which has prompted governments to order mass shutdowns of movement and economic activity.
So far the International Olympic Committee and Japan have not set a date for the rescheduled Games next year. If Trump does not secure a second term in November’s vote, he will leave office in January 2021.
Meanwhile, United States athletes welcomed the decision to postpone the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday, exhaling a collective sigh of relief tinged with disappointment as they began to set their sights on 2021.
The deadly coronavirus pandemic has swept into all 50 states of America, leaving US athletes’ years of carefully choreographed Olympic training plans in tatters.
Powerhouse swimmer Katie Ledecky, expected to be one of the stars of the Tokyo Games, had been left without a pool to train in as restrictions in California shut down the Stanford University facilities. Track and field star Noah Lyles -- the reigning 200m world champion -- had been denied regular access to a running track. Instead Lyles, who suffers from allergies and asthma, had been forced to train in a Florida park.
Lyles and Ledecky’s problems had become all too common for US athletes, who found themselves torn between the need to comply with local regulations restricting non-essential movement while simultaneously sticking to training regimens designed to help them prepare for Tokyo.
Lyles had no reservations about the decision to postpone the Games -- and vowed to be ready for Tokyo in 2021.“Straight up I’m tired of hearing I’m sorry like my puppy just died,” Lyles wrote on Twitter. “We will overcome this like everything else and then go win the Gold in 2021!” US sprint star Allyson Felix, whose six Olympic golds are the most for any female track and field athlete, said the delay won’t halt her bid for a last share of Games glory. “I am not sure what the future holds, but my goals have not changed,” she wrote in an article posted on Time.com.
“I still hope to experience the feeling of standing on that podium in 2021 and I hope my journey to try to get back there will inspire you to keep moving forward.”In a later interview with NBC, Lyles said the safety of athletes was paramount.
“The last thing we want is for anybody to get sick,” Lyles told NBC. “I can train for another year, but if the whole world goes through a crisis and everybody gets sick, we won’t have an Olympics at all.”
Lyles had already achieved a qualifying standard to compete in Tokyo. But the 22-year-old believes many athletes would have missed out through not being able to train properly had the games gone ahead.“It would have been very hard for a lot of us to even get a qualifying time,” he said.
Ledecky described an increasingly fraught hunt for facilities after her regular training pool at Stanford was closed. She went seven days without putting a toe in the water, and finally swam over the weekend in a private pool in someone’s backyard.
-
WhatsApp Rolls Out Group Message History To Ease Group Chats -
Tesla Expands Cybertruck Lineup With Affordable Model In US, Slashes Cyberbeast Price To Boost Demand -
AI Is Not As Powerful As We Think, Says Mathematician Hannah Fry -
How Andrew's Feeling Since His Arrest & Subsequent Release Amid Tech & Computers Seize -
Trump Officially Directs US Agencies To Identify And Release Files On Extraterrestrial Life -
2026 Winter Olympics: Alysa Liu Claims Gold, Snapping 20-year Drought For US Figure Skating -
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53 -
Donald Trump Breaks Silence On Andrew’s Arrest: ‘It’s A Shame’ -
DJ Khaled Shares Weight Loss Progress -
Jennifer Aniston And Jim Curtis Share How They Handle Relationship Conflicts -
Shamed Andrew Real Birthday Plans As Cops Showed Up At Door -
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame