Rs900 bn to be earmarked for development in 2022: Shaukat Tarin
ISLAMABAD: Minister for Finance Shaukat Tarin said on Friday that the government is planning to boost spending on large infrastructure projects by as much as 40 percent to create jobs and foster productivity in an economy crippled by the ongoing COVID-19.
In an interview with Bloomberg, Tarin said that the federal government will earmark as much as Rs900 billion ($6 billion) for development expenditure in the year beginning from July. He added that the economy needs to expand by 5 percent next year.
“That’s the bare minimum we need for a country this size,” said Tarin, who is due to present a new budget next month. “There is almost 110 million youth.”
Tarin, who took office last month as the fourth finance minister of the country since Prime Minister Imran Khan’s government took power in 2018. Tarin’s plan will reverse his predecessor’s decision to lower spending to narrow the budget deficit, which he estimates to be a little above 7 percent of GDP in the current fiscal year through June, against 8.1 percent in the previous year. Tarin said he expects the deficit in the next fiscal year to be 1 or 1.5 percentage points lower.
The finance minister’s 5 percent growth target for next year is a percentage point higher than the IMF’s 4 percent projection, and he is seeking to boost growth to 6 percent in the year after.
“We need 2 million jobs every year,” Tarin said. “If we do not go into growth mode, we will have a major crisis on the streets.” “First we have to get more revenues,” Tarin said, adding that he is targeting about Rs6 trillion next year in tax authority revenue, compared with this year’s Rs4.75 trillion target. “Unless we get more revenues, forget about any incentives to boost the economy.”
-
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful' -
Gemma Chan Reflects On 'difficult Subject Matter' Portrayed In 'Josephine' -
Blood Falls In Antarctica? What Causes The Mysterious Red Waterfall Hidden In Ice -
AI Power Play: Nvidia Moves To Invest $30 Billion In OpenAI -
Will Savannah Guthrie Ever Return To 'Today' Show? Here's What Insiders Predict -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos