Tuesday September 28, 2021

Career counselling: questions and answers

Q1: Dear sir, after O-Levels and Intermediate I am now thinking to do LLB. Few UK-based institutions are offering three-year LLB programme but I am confused as most of the institutions in Pakistan are offering LLB but the duration of this programme is five-year and it is HEC approved. The UK-based institutions also claim that they are offering HEC approved three-year law degree. Sir, my question is should I go abroad for studying law and practice there? As it is an international degree, would it help me especially as a lawyer? My wish is to practice here in Pakistan. I look forward for your help and guidance. (Shareef Qureshi, Lahore)

Ans: Dear Mr Qureshi, please note that a law degree has to be approved/ recognised by the local bar council. So if you want to study here; you should be able to be admitted to one of the Bars in the province of your residence such as Punjab Bar, Sindh Bar etc. I would like to advise you that instead of studying in a foreign country or a UK-based institution, you should study in a local university as compared to the London external law degree or an affiliated law degree particularly if you are aiming to settle and practice in Pakistan. I think now it will be easier for you to make a correct decision.

Q2: Respected Mr Abidi, I am in the first year of Federal Board studying Medical. I am confused what I should do; whether medical studies or law as I am interested to do law. Will you please let me know what the prospects are for a girl after receiving a law degree? Also please advise if I should study law in a foreign country as I wish to go abroad for this purpose? On the other hand, let me know the prospects of CSS after getting a law degree. I look forward for your advice. (Maqsood Siddiqui, Karachi)

Ans: Dear Maqsood, you have multiple queries which are quite different as compared to each other I mean conflict each other. For example, Medical Science has got nothing to do with you becoming a lawyer. Please don’t forget that a lawyer is a person who should not be qualified biologist. It is up to you as both subject areas have great potential as profession. I tell you that lawyers especially females in Pakistan or abroad who entered into legal profession, became well-known judges in Pakistan and foreign countries. After getting a law degree; you can surely consider doing CSS. Females in this field have been very successful.

Q3: Sir, I have passed my O-Levels with 3A*, 4A & 1B. I have started my A-Levels from Lahore Grammar School (LGS), Gujrat. I have opted Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics as my A-levels subjects. Still I have no idea what to do next. Do I need to conduct some courses right now if I want to apply in foreign universities? I am looking forward for your guidance. (Javaid Chattha, Gujrat)

Ans: Dear Mr Chattha, since you have already chosen Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in your A-Levels there is a huge range of degree areas which you can choose from but for this you need proper career counselling so that we can discuss and give you an idea/ proper roadmap. Following which you can decide the course that you wish to do in the UK and shortlist the universities to apply before the UCAS deadline.

If you are interested in any other country such as Canada, Europe or Australia, you can discuss that too.

Q4: Sir, I am very much disappointed and confused of my pace in CA. This is because I have been studying this since the last six years. I know I can’t get success with such pace as I have done two years working in six years. Your expert advice as to what should I do shall be highly appreciated. (Hameed Ali, Rawalpindi)

Ans: Dear Mr Hameed, after going through your inquiry details I have a better solution for this problem. I think you would be successful if you get a formal qualification which can be a BCom or an MBA and that is also relevant to your work experience within the Accounting and Financial area. Whereas, CA I hope you know that unless fully completed is not a qualification that can bring you a professional career progression. If you wish you can keep on pursuing your current study i.e. CA while getting local academic qualifications which should be HEC approved.

(Syed Azhar Husnain Abidi is a renowned educationist in Pakistan, with more than 20 years of experience as provider of education counselling services. He has represented Pakistan in over 100 national and international seminars, conferences and fora. He is a recipient of the most coveted civil award Tamgha-e-Imtiaz).