US envoy calls for action against ‘bacha bazi’ in Afghanistan
KABUL: Afghan authorities must take "decisive action" following reports of an alleged paedophile ring operating in schools in eastern Afghanistan, a senior US diplomat said Tuesday.
The comments by Alice Wells, US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia, come after British newspaper ‘The Guardian’ last month detailed accounts of the abuse, which allegedly affected more than 500 victims in Logar province south of Kabul.
"We call on Afghan authorities, including the Attorney General´s Office, to take decisive action on deeply troubling reports of sexual abuse in Logar schools," Wells wrote on Twitter. The alleged abuse comes amid an ongoing tolerance of paedophilia and pederasty in some parts of Afghanistan, including the practice of bacha bazi, or "boy play", where older men make boys dress up as women and then rape them. "Sexual violence and practices like bacha bazi have no place in any society," Wells said.
President Ashraf Ghani´s spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said the Afghan government is "strongly committed to taking decisive actions" in the case, following a full probe. "Law enforcement entities will hold the perpetrators accountable," Sediqqi said on Twitter.
The scandal has generated international outrage that was only fuelled by authorities´ initial reaction.
The National Directorate of Security (NDS) arrested two whistleblowers in the case and said their "baseless" claims were part of a scheme aimed at securing asylum in a foreign country. It was only after Ghani intervened that the NDS released the two men.
In 2017, Afghanistan introduced measures that criminalized the sexual abuse of minors, following reporting on bacha bazi by several media outlets including AFP. However children are often reluctant to come forward in a culture that still shames victims rather than going after perpetrators.
The US has previously come under criticism for treading softly around the issue of Afghan child abuse. According to a watchdog report in January 2018, the US military funded Afghan police and security units even though American officials knew members were implicated in gross human rights violations, including child sexual assault.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’