US protesters hit streets before Trump’s military parade
WASHINGTON: Thousands of people on Saturday rallied nationwide against the policies of US President Donald Trump ahead of a rare military parade on his 79th birthday -- but the killing of a Democratic lawmaker in Minnesota cast a pall over the day’s events.
Trump was quick to condemn the targeted shootings of two lawmakers outside Minneapolis -- one died along with her husband, while the other and his wife have been hospitalized with gunshot wounds.
The shocking murder was the latest in a string of incidents of political violence, including an attempt on Trump’s life in July last year, and an April arson attack on the home of Pennsylvania’s governor, who is a Democrat and Jewish.
The shootings prompted Minnesota state authorities to call on residents not to attend protests by the so-called “No Kings” movement organized across the United State, which began at noon (1600 GMT) in some East Coast locations.
Organizers said the rallies would be the largest since Trump returned to office in January, adding that they were “rejecting authoritarianism, billionaire-first politics, and the militarization of our democracy.”
“I’m here because the things that are happening in this administration are very disturbing,” Sarah Hargrave, 42, told AFP in the Washington suburb of Bethesda, where about 1,000 people rallied.
Organizers said they expected millions of people in more than 1,500 cities including New York, Houston, Seattle, Atlanta and Trump’s second home in Palm Beach, Florida to protest. A small group even gathered in Paris.
Thousands hit the streets in Philadelphia, one of the movement’s flagship events.
Thousands more demonstrators are expected to turn out in Los Angeles to protest against Trump’s deployment of troops in America’s second-largest city following clashes sparked by immigration raids.
Downtown, Trump planned a giant celebration of the US Army’s 250th birthday -- and his own -- in Washington with tanks, helicopters and nearly 7,000 troops at a reported cost of up to $45 million.
“This is a big day for America!!!” Trump said on his Truth Social platform.
But the Minnesota shootings, the threat of thunderstorms in the US capital, and the barrage of missiles raining down in Tel Aviv and Tehran -- a conflict in which the American military is assisting -- could cast a long shadow over the president’s event.
Trump says the Washington parade will be “like no other” -- but has promised to use “very big force” if protesters attempt to disrupt the spectacle.
The rare military parade is the largest in the United States since the end of the Gulf War in 1991.
-
King Charles And Queen Camilla Just Arrived In Belfast For 3-day Northern Ireland Tour -
SpaceX: Starship V3 All Set For Debut Launch Ahead Of IPO -
Hayden Panettiere Recalls 'profoundly Scary' Birth Experience -
King Charles 'abdication Plan' Sparks Reactions -
Sebastian Stan Believes The Future Of America Is In Danger: Here's Why -
Palace Source Exposes Prince William’s Actual Plans For Beatrice & Pregnant Eugenie: ‘He’s Shocked Them’ -
AI Still Falls Short On Programming Language Design, Bjarne Stroustrup Says -
Standard Chartered To Cut More Than 7,000 Jobs As AI Use Accelerates: What You Need To Know -
Gwyneth Paltrow’s Daughter Apple Martin Lands Major Movie Role -
Kylie Minogue Recalls Her Painful Cancer Journey: 'It's A Crash Course' -
Meghan Markle Gains 'huge Success' In Marriage With Prince Harry -
David Beckham Moved By Daughter Harper's Sweet Gesture -
Andrew Turns To His Palace Contacts For Revenge’ ‘Vows To Spend Years To Give Prince William Hell’ -
Conor Benn, Ryan Garcia To Settle ‘personal’ Rivalry In WBC Welterweight Title Fight -
Meghan Markle Finally Offers Olive Branch To King Charles? -
‘A Difficult Boss’: StanChart CEO Winters Issues Major Statement On Warsh’s New Fed Role