Australia says China warned of ‘live fire’ drill off east coast
SYDNEY: China issued a warning on Friday of potential “live fire” naval drills in international waters off Australia´s eastern coast but gave little prior notice, disrupting commercial air flights, the Australian government said.
Beijing described the manoeuvres as training exercises that were “safe, standard and professional” and in line with international law, without commenting on whether live ammunition was used.
Australia´s defence forces, joined by close ally New Zealand, have been monitoring the Chinese navy vessels -- a frigate, a cruiser and a supply tanker -- since they were spotted last week.
Defence Minister Richard Marles said China gave a warning that the vessels intended to engage in live firing as they sailed about half way between Australia and New Zealand in the Tasman Sea.
“By that I mean a broadcast that was picked up by airlines or literally planes that were commercial planes that were flying across the Tasman,” he told national broadcaster ABC.
The Chinese naval ships were in international waters and acting within international law, Marles said, but Australian warships would typically give 12-24 hours´ notice of such drills to give airlines time to react.
“That notice was not provided here,” the defence minister said. “This was very disconcerting for the planes that were flying, but they were able to divert,” he said, stressing that the aircraft had not been placed in danger.
Australia had made representations to China both in Canberra and in Beijing asking why the purported live fire drills were held there and why more notice was not given to avoid disruption, Marles said. The government was still awaiting confirmation that live firing actually took place, he said.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’