LONDON: The Church of England on Tuesday apologised to abuse survivors after a priest reportedly assessed as a possible risk to children received a pay out.
Anglican church head Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, admitted survivors had been “let down” and acknowledged the “concerning background” to the case of Canon Andrew Hindely.
The church confirmed that “a number of allegations were made about the clergyman over a number of years”, but said there had never been a criminal conviction or any finding of misconduct in independent church courts.
Hindley had been subject to five police investigations, including allegations of sexual assault, the BBC reported
He was removed from office on health grounds in 2021 but after bringing a court challenge against that decision was given a settlement payment, the church said in a statement.
The BBC reported an offer of £240,000 ($307,000) was made, but said non-disclosure agreements meant the payout sum was unknown.
A man walks while smoke rises above buildings after aerial bombardment, during clashes between the paramilitary RSF...
This video grab shows tropical storm force winds blowing across Tumon Bay, Guam on May 24, 2023. — AFPWASHINGTON:...
Members of Daniel Ortega's 'volunteer' force. —AFP/FilePANAMA CITY: Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, his wife,...
A healthcare worker vaccinating a patient. —AFP/FileNAIROBI: Africa’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention ...
New York City Mayor Eric Adams looks on during a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan in New York City, March...
A war crimes prosecutor and local residents exhume the remains of Olena Trofimova, 51-year-old, killed on June 25,...