US says it takes seriously reports of misbehaviour by its envoy to Singapore
Ambassador Jonathan Kaplan, a political appointee, had poor relations with some Singaporean ministries
WASHINGTON: The White House on Sunday said the US government was taking seriously an internal watchdog report that the US ambassador to Singapore threatened his staff and failed to submit about $48,000 in travel expenses on time or with proper documentation.
Ambassador Jonathan Kaplan, a political appointee, had poor relations with some Singaporean ministries and was often unprepared on issues, the State Department’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) said in a report.
“OIG found the ambassador did not model integrity, plan strategically, collaborate, or communicate,” it said, urging the State Department to assess his leadership and management and, if appropriate, “take corrective action.”
“Numerous staff described a fear, and even direct threats, of reprisal from the Ambassador,” it said. “They described his mannerisms with personnel as belittling and intimidating.”
The report noted the ambassador’s view that “although there had been a difficult transition when he assumed his position, morale had improved under his leadership, and he was confident that he had gained the trust” of his staff.
“The president always wants his representatives ... to manage people with dignity and respect,” White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters. “He’s comfortable that the State Department is taking this seriously.”
The report faulted Kaplan, an entrepreneur, for failing to follow procedures in hiring consultants who submitted bills of $5,650 for “a furniture research project” and of $4,250 to redesign the embassy’s cafeteria.
The report found Kaplan did not follow many of the State Department’s travel policies, failing to use a travel agency under contract with the U.S. government and to comply with a US law requiring the use of US carriers.
“OIG found approximately $48,000 worth of outstanding travel obligations extending back to December 2021 that either were not submitted for reimbursement or lacked sufficient supporting documentation to pay the travel claim,” it said.
-
Is Elon Musk Set To Become First Trillionaire In 2026? Market Odds Explained -
Prince Harry’s Protective Stance On Meghan Markle Sparked Rift With William, Charles -
How BTS Push Through Performances As They Gear For 2026 Comeback -
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up