Air strikes kill 17 civilians in Syria
BEIRUT: Regime and Russian air strikes on a rebel-held enclave near the Syrian capital killed at least 17 civilians on Saturday, a war monitor said.
Eastern Ghouta, one of the last remaining opposition strongholds in the country, is the target of near-daily air raids.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Saturday’s deadliest strikes had hit the Hammuriyeh district, killing 12 civilians including two children.
An AFP reporter in Hammuriyeh saw residential buildings with their facades blown open, collapsing into streets strewn with rubble.
Residents including members of the White Helmets rescue group rushed to rescue the wounded.
Running past a burning car, one man held a crying boy in his arms, while another carried the apparently lifeless body of a child through the streets.
Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said Syrian and Russian aircraft had "continued their intense bombardment of Eastern Ghouta, targeting several residential areas".
He said those killed also included two people in the district of Madira and three in Erbin, adding that 35 people were also wounded in the three areas.
The Britain-based monitor relies on a network of sources inside Syria and says it determines whose planes carry out raids according to type, location, flight patterns and munitions used.
At the start of the week, a coalition of rebels and Jihadists including a former Al-Qaeda affiliate surrounded the only regime base in Eastern Ghouta, which lies east of Damascus and has been under a crippling regime siege since 2013.
The blockade has caused serious food and medicine shortages for the enclave’s estimated 400,000 inhabitants.
More than 340,000 people have been killed in Syria and millions displaced since the conflict began in March 2011 with anti-government protests.
Syrian army soldiers, supported by pro-government fighters from popular defence groups, have made fresh territorial gains against terrorists from the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the southern part of the country’s northwestern province of Idlib.
The media bureau of Syria’s Operations Command announced in a statement released on Saturday that government forces and their allies had managed to establish complete control over the villages of Khwein al-Kabir, Rasm Sham al-Hawa, Niha and Qaliat al-Tawibiyah in the Maarrat al-Nu’man district of the province in addition to Zarzur town following fierce clashes with the foreign-sponsored terrorists.
The so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that the skirmishes had been raging between members of the Takfiri Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) terrorist alliance and the Syrian army on the outskirts of Vehicle Base in Harasta city.
The Britain-based monitor group added that Syrian government forces are yet to break the siege imposed by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and Failaq al-Rahman terrorists on the key base. Vehicle Base is the largest military facility in the Eastern Ghouta suburb, and stretches from Harasta to Arbin town.
The base hosts a large number of soldiers, including Republican Guards, as well as big weapon depots.
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony