Zico gets Brazil backing for FIFA bid
RIO DE JANEIRO: The Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) said Thursday it is backing national football legend Zico’s bid to replace Sepp Blatter as FIFA president.The endorsement was a big boost for Zico, 62, who has previously conceded lacking support from Brazil’s footballing top brass. However, to establish himself as a
By our correspondents
August 01, 2015
RIO DE JANEIRO: The Brazilian Football Federation (CBF) said Thursday it is backing national football legend Zico’s bid to replace Sepp Blatter as FIFA president.
The endorsement was a big boost for Zico, 62, who has previously conceded lacking support from Brazil’s footballing top brass. However, to establish himself as a formal candidate he would still have to get backing from four other countries.
“Zico has our support to pursue his candidacy. If he gets the other four signatures, the CBF will back his application,” the body’s president, Marco Polo Del Nero, said in a statement.
Zico — who has managed several teams including Japan and Iraq as well as latterly Indian club side Goa — has no experience in international football administration.
He said he was “happy with the response,” which he called a “kickstart” to his bid to win the FIFA top spot.
Blatter announced his intention to stand down on June 2, shortly after winning election to a fifth term, amid a corruption scandal sweeping through the FIFA executive committee. Brazil had been one of the countries voting to extend his mandate.
Blatter announced last week that the election for his successor would be held on February 26, 2016.
UEFA chief and French favorite Michel Platini — who crossed swords with Zico on the football pitch in the 1980’s including a memorable 1986 World Cup semi-final — is seen as a frontrunner.
The endorsement was a big boost for Zico, 62, who has previously conceded lacking support from Brazil’s footballing top brass. However, to establish himself as a formal candidate he would still have to get backing from four other countries.
“Zico has our support to pursue his candidacy. If he gets the other four signatures, the CBF will back his application,” the body’s president, Marco Polo Del Nero, said in a statement.
Zico — who has managed several teams including Japan and Iraq as well as latterly Indian club side Goa — has no experience in international football administration.
He said he was “happy with the response,” which he called a “kickstart” to his bid to win the FIFA top spot.
Blatter announced his intention to stand down on June 2, shortly after winning election to a fifth term, amid a corruption scandal sweeping through the FIFA executive committee. Brazil had been one of the countries voting to extend his mandate.
Blatter announced last week that the election for his successor would be held on February 26, 2016.
UEFA chief and French favorite Michel Platini — who crossed swords with Zico on the football pitch in the 1980’s including a memorable 1986 World Cup semi-final — is seen as a frontrunner.
-
Is Elon Musk Set To Become First Trillionaire In 2026? Market Odds Explained -
Prince Harry’s Protective Stance On Meghan Markle Sparked Rift With William, Charles -
How BTS Push Through Performances As They Gear For 2026 Comeback -
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up