UN warns Europe against ‘backtracking’ on migrants
GENEVA: The United Nations on Tuesday urged states not to "backtrack" on pledges made to host migrants and refugees, including from Syria, in the wake of the attacks in Paris. Multiple UN agencies issued a warning to European leaders who might use the tragedy to advance anti-migrant policies, stressing that
By our correspondents
November 18, 2015
GENEVA: The United Nations on Tuesday urged states not to "backtrack" on pledges made to host migrants and refugees, including from Syria, in the wake of the attacks in Paris.
Multiple UN agencies issued a warning to European leaders who might use the tragedy to advance anti-migrant policies, stressing that many of those seeking refuge in Europe have also been the victims of extremists.
Of the estimated 1.1 million migrants who have landed in Europe via the Mediterranean since 2013, less than six "have raised questions in terms of possible links to extremism," said International Organization for Migration spokesman Joel Millman.
Millman noted that the IOM, which received that information from individual governments, has no evidence that any of those people were ever involved in acts of violence.
French sources have said that a passport found near the body of one of the Stade de France suicide bombers may have belonged to a Syrian -- possibly an ex-government soldier -- who registered on the Greek island of Leros on October 3.
Using that information as a pretext to curb migration by vulnerable people into Europe could prove disastrous, UN representatives said.
"We are concerned about the reactions from some states to end programmes being put in place, backtracking from commitments made to manage the refugee crisis," said UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokeswoman Melissa Fleming.
"Refugees should not be turned into scapegoats and must not become the secondary victims of these most tragic events," Fleming added. Earlier this year, European leaders agreed to share 160,000 migrants around the continent via quotas.
The scheme is still in its infancy, with the actual number of people who have been resettled so far estimated at below 1,000, Fleming said.
But some European populist and far-right leaders have seized on the jihadist attacks in Paris to demand the continent stem the migrant influx. Hungary´s parliament on Tuesday gave Prime Minister Viktor Orban the green light to challenge the EU quota system in court. France´s anti-immigration National Front leader Marine Le Pen called for an "immediate halt" to new arrivals, while Germany´s xenophobic PEGIDA movement drew thousands to their latest anti-Islam rally.
Multiple UN agencies issued a warning to European leaders who might use the tragedy to advance anti-migrant policies, stressing that many of those seeking refuge in Europe have also been the victims of extremists.
Of the estimated 1.1 million migrants who have landed in Europe via the Mediterranean since 2013, less than six "have raised questions in terms of possible links to extremism," said International Organization for Migration spokesman Joel Millman.
Millman noted that the IOM, which received that information from individual governments, has no evidence that any of those people were ever involved in acts of violence.
French sources have said that a passport found near the body of one of the Stade de France suicide bombers may have belonged to a Syrian -- possibly an ex-government soldier -- who registered on the Greek island of Leros on October 3.
Using that information as a pretext to curb migration by vulnerable people into Europe could prove disastrous, UN representatives said.
"We are concerned about the reactions from some states to end programmes being put in place, backtracking from commitments made to manage the refugee crisis," said UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokeswoman Melissa Fleming.
"Refugees should not be turned into scapegoats and must not become the secondary victims of these most tragic events," Fleming added. Earlier this year, European leaders agreed to share 160,000 migrants around the continent via quotas.
The scheme is still in its infancy, with the actual number of people who have been resettled so far estimated at below 1,000, Fleming said.
But some European populist and far-right leaders have seized on the jihadist attacks in Paris to demand the continent stem the migrant influx. Hungary´s parliament on Tuesday gave Prime Minister Viktor Orban the green light to challenge the EU quota system in court. France´s anti-immigration National Front leader Marine Le Pen called for an "immediate halt" to new arrivals, while Germany´s xenophobic PEGIDA movement drew thousands to their latest anti-Islam rally.
-
Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff's Return To Reimagined Version Of 'Baywatch' Confirmed By Star -
Willie Colón, Salsa Legend, Dies At 75 -
Prince Edward Praised After Andrew's Arrest: 'Scandal-free Brother' -
Shawn Levy Recalls Learning Key Comedy Tactic In 'The Pink Panther' -
King Charles Fears More Trouble As Monarchy Faces Growing Pressure -
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again