Clashes in Myanmar spark calls for restraint
YANGON:Fighting has flared in areas of Myanmar controlled by ethnic rebels who refused to sign a ceasefire, raising fears the army is pressuring groups that did not join in what was supposed to be a crowning achievement of President Thein Sein’s five-year term. The United Nations and the United States
By our correspondents
October 24, 2015
YANGON:Fighting has flared in areas of Myanmar controlled by ethnic rebels who refused to sign a ceasefire, raising fears the army is pressuring groups that did not join in what was supposed to be a crowning achievement of President Thein Sein’s five-year term.
The United Nations and the United States have called on the military to de-escalate the tension, stressing that the groups, such as the Kachin Independence Organisation operating on Myanmar’s northern border, should not be pressured but seen as partners essential to achieving a lasting peace.
The army clashed with the Shan State Army-North, one of the ethnic armed groups that did not sign the deal, 37 times between October 6 and 19, military-run newspaper Myawady said this week. Seven SSA-N members were killed and the army suffered an unspecified number of casualties, the paper said.
“We made a point that it’s important the government and military show some restraint in those areas where groups did not sign the ceasefire,” Ben Rhodes, the US deputy national security adviser, told reporters in Yangon on Tuesday.
Tense talks between the rebels and the government unravelled after two years of gruelling negotiations, with only eight of more than a dozen major groups signing the peace accord last week.
The United Nations and the United States have called on the military to de-escalate the tension, stressing that the groups, such as the Kachin Independence Organisation operating on Myanmar’s northern border, should not be pressured but seen as partners essential to achieving a lasting peace.
The army clashed with the Shan State Army-North, one of the ethnic armed groups that did not sign the deal, 37 times between October 6 and 19, military-run newspaper Myawady said this week. Seven SSA-N members were killed and the army suffered an unspecified number of casualties, the paper said.
“We made a point that it’s important the government and military show some restraint in those areas where groups did not sign the ceasefire,” Ben Rhodes, the US deputy national security adviser, told reporters in Yangon on Tuesday.
Tense talks between the rebels and the government unravelled after two years of gruelling negotiations, with only eight of more than a dozen major groups signing the peace accord last week.
-
Is Elon Musk Set To Become First Trillionaire In 2026? Market Odds Explained -
Prince Harry’s Protective Stance On Meghan Markle Sparked Rift With William, Charles -
How BTS Push Through Performances As They Gear For 2026 Comeback -
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up