Nato vows solidarity with Turkish govt
It is not possible to carry on the peace process with those who target our unity and brotherhood: Erdogan
By our correspondents
July 29, 2015
BRUSSELS: Nato vowed strong support for Turkey’s fight against “terrorism” at an emergency meeting on Tuesday called to discuss Ankara’s strikes against Islamic State fighters and Kurdish rebels.
The rare talks came as an uncompromising President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Ankara could not continue its peace process with the Kurds amid fresh attacks on Turkish targets.
Turkey’s decision to lump IS together with Kurdish forces who bitterly oppose the Jihadist group has surprised some Western allies, but the message on Tuesday was united behind the alliance’s only Muslim member.
“All allies expressed their strong support for Turkey and we all stand together in solidarity with Turkey. We strongly condemn the terrorist attacks,” Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg said after the meeting of the alliance’s ambassadors in Brussels.
Stoltenberg said Turkey had not requested any military help — it has the second largest armed forces in Nato after the United States — and he welcomed its increased effort against the IS group.
Turkey requested the meeting of all 28 North Atlantic Treaty Organisation nations after a devastating suicide bombing blamed on IS militants in the largely Kurdish border town of Suruc last week in which 32 people were killed.
Once-reluctant Ankara has since launched attacks against IS targets in Syria and Kurd positions in northern Iraq, despite the fact that Kurdish forces have had some of the biggest military successes against the Jihadists.
Turkey has also agreed with the United States to create an “IS-free zone” in northern Syria and dropped its previous refusal to let US aircraft use its Incirlik airbase to launch attacks on the Jihadists.
Erdogan — whose relations with his Western allies have been bedevilled by human rights concerns — insisted Ankara would press its attacks to the full and said he considered peace talks with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) dead in the water.
“It is not possible to carry on the peace process with those who target our national unity and brotherhood,” Erdogan told reporters before leaving on a visit to China, referring to the PKK.
“Any step back is out of the question. This is a process and this process will continue with the same determination.”
Erdogan added that a safe zone would help the return of 1.7 million Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Ankara, which along with its Western allies officially considers the PKK a terrorist organisation, launched peace negotiations with the group’s jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan in late 2012 but the two sides have yet to reach an accord.
The sudden change of course in recent days has raised questions in Western capitals over whether Ankara, fearful of seeing a Kurd state emerge on its southern border, is more interested in limiting Kurdish capabilities than in tackling IS in Iraq and Syria.
Kurdish groups say Turkish forces also targeted them in Syria as well but Ankara has denied the claims.
Around 30 Kurdish representatives rallied outside the European Parliament in Brussels as the Nato talks were taking place.
“Turkey is not waging war against IS but against the Kurdish people,” said Zubeyir Aydar of the Kurdish National Congress.
The rare talks came as an uncompromising President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Ankara could not continue its peace process with the Kurds amid fresh attacks on Turkish targets.
Turkey’s decision to lump IS together with Kurdish forces who bitterly oppose the Jihadist group has surprised some Western allies, but the message on Tuesday was united behind the alliance’s only Muslim member.
“All allies expressed their strong support for Turkey and we all stand together in solidarity with Turkey. We strongly condemn the terrorist attacks,” Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg said after the meeting of the alliance’s ambassadors in Brussels.
Stoltenberg said Turkey had not requested any military help — it has the second largest armed forces in Nato after the United States — and he welcomed its increased effort against the IS group.
Turkey requested the meeting of all 28 North Atlantic Treaty Organisation nations after a devastating suicide bombing blamed on IS militants in the largely Kurdish border town of Suruc last week in which 32 people were killed.
Once-reluctant Ankara has since launched attacks against IS targets in Syria and Kurd positions in northern Iraq, despite the fact that Kurdish forces have had some of the biggest military successes against the Jihadists.
Turkey has also agreed with the United States to create an “IS-free zone” in northern Syria and dropped its previous refusal to let US aircraft use its Incirlik airbase to launch attacks on the Jihadists.
Erdogan — whose relations with his Western allies have been bedevilled by human rights concerns — insisted Ankara would press its attacks to the full and said he considered peace talks with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) dead in the water.
“It is not possible to carry on the peace process with those who target our national unity and brotherhood,” Erdogan told reporters before leaving on a visit to China, referring to the PKK.
“Any step back is out of the question. This is a process and this process will continue with the same determination.”
Erdogan added that a safe zone would help the return of 1.7 million Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Ankara, which along with its Western allies officially considers the PKK a terrorist organisation, launched peace negotiations with the group’s jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan in late 2012 but the two sides have yet to reach an accord.
The sudden change of course in recent days has raised questions in Western capitals over whether Ankara, fearful of seeing a Kurd state emerge on its southern border, is more interested in limiting Kurdish capabilities than in tackling IS in Iraq and Syria.
Kurdish groups say Turkish forces also targeted them in Syria as well but Ankara has denied the claims.
Around 30 Kurdish representatives rallied outside the European Parliament in Brussels as the Nato talks were taking place.
“Turkey is not waging war against IS but against the Kurdish people,” said Zubeyir Aydar of the Kurdish National Congress.
-
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Marriage Fears Despite Strong Bond With Matthew Koma -
‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Breathes His Last At 53 -
Donald Trump Breaks Silence On Andrew’s Arrest: ‘It’s A Shame’ -
DJ Khaled Shares Weight Loss Progress -
Jennifer Aniston And Jim Curtis Share How They Handle Relationship Conflicts -
Shamed Andrew Real Birthday Plans As Cops Showed Up At Door -
Pete Davidson’s Girlfriend Elsie Hewitt Says 'everything Hurts' After Sudden Medical Emergency -
Princess Beatrice 17 Holidays Per Year Exposed Amid Andrew Arrest -
Who Is 'Queen Of Woke'? UK First Female Civil Head -
Dwayne Johnson Confesses What Secretly Scares Him More Than Fame -
Elizabeth Hurley's Son Damian Breaks Silence On Mom’s Romance With Billy Ray Cyrus -
Shamed Andrew Should Be Happy ‘he Is Only In For Sharing Information’ -
Daniel Radcliffe Wants Son To See Him As Just Dad, Not Harry Potter -
Apple Sued Over 'child Sexual Abuse' Material Stored Or Shared On ICloud -
Nancy Guthrie Kidnapped With 'blessings' Of Drug Cartels -
Hailey Bieber Reveals Justin Bieber's Hit Song Baby Jack Is Already Singing