Ban urges probe of strikes on UN compound
UNITED NATIONS: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday called for a full investigation after Saudi coalition air strikes hit a UN compound in Yemen.A guard was injured when the office of the UN Development Programme in the southern city of Aden was hit on Sunday, causing serious damage, said UN
By our correspondents
June 30, 2015
UNITED NATIONS: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday called for a full investigation after Saudi coalition air strikes hit a UN compound in Yemen.
A guard was injured when the office of the UN Development Programme in the southern city of Aden was hit on Sunday, causing serious damage, said UN spokesman Farhan Haq.
“The secretary-general urges a full investigation into this incident and that anyone found to be responsible for any breaches be held to account,” said Haq.
He added that the incident underscored the need to end the fighting in Yemen and return to the negotiation table.
Yemen slid deeper into turmoil when the Saudi-led coalition launched air strikes in late March to stop an advance by the Iran-backed Huthi rebels who drove the president into exile.
Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies are demanding that the Huthis pull back from territory seized in their offensive and that President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi be restored to power. A week of UN-brokered talks in Geneva earlier this month failed to narrow differences.
A guard was injured when the office of the UN Development Programme in the southern city of Aden was hit on Sunday, causing serious damage, said UN spokesman Farhan Haq.
“The secretary-general urges a full investigation into this incident and that anyone found to be responsible for any breaches be held to account,” said Haq.
He added that the incident underscored the need to end the fighting in Yemen and return to the negotiation table.
Yemen slid deeper into turmoil when the Saudi-led coalition launched air strikes in late March to stop an advance by the Iran-backed Huthi rebels who drove the president into exile.
Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies are demanding that the Huthis pull back from territory seized in their offensive and that President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi be restored to power. A week of UN-brokered talks in Geneva earlier this month failed to narrow differences.
-
Is Elon Musk Set To Become First Trillionaire In 2026? Market Odds Explained -
Prince Harry’s Protective Stance On Meghan Markle Sparked Rift With William, Charles -
How BTS Push Through Performances As They Gear For 2026 Comeback -
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up