‘Can’t pass buck to Pakistan’, says Qureshi on Afghan endgame
By News Desk
ISLAMABAD: As foreign troops continue their draw down from Afghanistan, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said on Saturday peace in the war-torn country “is a shared responsibility” as he stressed “you cannot pass the buck towards Pakistan”.
The foreign minister, talking to TRT World during his visit to Antalya, Turkey, said Pakistan had been engaged constructively for peace and stability in Afghanistan and would continue to do so.
“But this is a shared responsibility. You cannot pass the buck towards Pakistan. Pakistan is one regional player. There are other global players and there are other interests that are paramount in the region,” the foreign minister said. “So, it has to be a holistic approach and Pakistan will be a partner in peace.”
He said Pakistan was keen to see both the Afghan peace process and the withdrawal of foreign troops advancing “in tandem” but in fact there was a disconnect between the two. “What I am seeing is that the withdrawal is taking place at a fairly rapid pace but peace process is moving ahead at snail pace. And that is a bit disconnect over there. And that is of concern to me,” the foreign minister said.
He said he was concerned over the rising level of violence in Afghanistan and which was not just linked to Taliban but Daesh and other spoilers within Afghanistan which were perhaps not keen to see peace and stability there. “They have their own designs and motives. This is a complicated situation. There are internal struggles going on within Afghanistan,” Qureshi said. He said other conflicts like the Jammu and Kashmir dispute were also impeding economic progress and integration in the region.
He said the world was increasingly embroiled in “great competition and confrontation” and people were “being forced to take sides”.
Qureshi said Pakistan had been facilitating the peace process and engaging with all regional powers at every forum including Doha process, Istanbul process, Heart of Asia and Moscow format.
He said the Covid-19 pandemic was still lingering and would obviously leave behind its economic and financial implications which also necessitated preparedness.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final