Toshakhana case: Court issues non-bailabale arrest warrants for Nawaz
ISLAMABAD: An Accountability Court (AC) on Thursday issued non-bailable arrest warrant for former prime minister Nawaz Sharif over his continuous absence in ‘Toshakhana; vehicles reference. The court, however, granted one-day exemption from presence to former president Asif Ali Zardari in the same reference.
AC-III Judge Syed Asghar Ali conducted the hearing into reference against two former prime ministers Nawaz Sharif, Yusuf Raza Gilani and ex-president Asif Ali Zardari pertaining to illegal use of ‘Toshakhana’ vehicles during Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) tenure. Yusuf Raza Gilani, Abdul Ghani Majeed, National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Prosecutor Sardar Muzafar Abbasi and NAB investigation officer appeared before the court.
At the outset of the hearing, the NAB prosecutor prayed to the court to initiate action against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif on his continuous absence from the proceeding.
He said the summon notices against the accused could be given through advertisement in newspapers abroad.
He said the NAB investigation officer himself visited the residence of accused in Jatti Umra where the guard informed him that Nawaz Sharif was not there.
He said Nawaz was living in Avenfield Apartments in London, adding that the NAB had obtained the travel record of the accused.
To this, the court issued non-bailable arrest warrant for Nawaz Sharif and ordered the Foreign Office to implement the summon notice to accused through Pakistan High Commission in United Kingdom (UK).
On query of judge regarding the appearance of Zardari, his lawyer Farooq H Naek pleaded that former president could not appear before the court due to coronavirus outbreak in the country and prayed to the court to avoid summoning his client in person.
He said Zardari had been appearing before courts earlier.
The judge asked the lawyer to provide address of Zardari in Karachi so that a notice could be served on him.
Meanwhile, Yusuf Raza Gilani filed a plea seeking permanent exemption from hearing to avoid risk of coronavirus.
He said he had been attending the court regularly. The court served notice on NAB and sought its comments on the matter.
-
AI Superintelligence Race: Meta And Microsoft Back Rival Visions—Who Will Win? -
Chatbots Push Users Into ‘delusional Spirals,’ Experts Warn -
Economist Slams AI Doom Predictions, ‘replacing Humans Is Not Innovation’ -
KATSEYE's Manon Bannerman Takes Break From Group For Personal Reasons -
Prince Harry's Reaction On 'disgraced' Uncle Andrew Arrest Revealed -
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final