Friday July 19, 2024

One killed as kidnapping drama unfolds

By Shakeel Anjum
May 12, 2024
Islamabad Capital Police police personnel stand guard on the road of Islamabad. — APP/File
Islamabad Capital Police police personnel stand guard on the road of Islamabad. — APP/File 

Islamabad : The Federal Capital Police, in a dramatic ending of the kidnapping of a young man from Peshawar by a couple, recovered the young man from Jhangi Syedan without paying a heavy amount of ransom when he was being transported to Islamabad from Peshawar.

One, Gull Akbar son of Dilbar Khan complained with the Noon Police Station, saying that his son Nauman Akbar, 30, who works in Saudi Arabia, left home on 8th May, 2024 but didn’t return home. At 09:00 p.m., he received a video call from the captors informing him that Nauman had been kidnapped and the kidnappers demanded a ransom of Rs20 million to be paid within three days. Otherwise, they would kill him if the ransom is not paid within the limited time. A police team under SSP Operations Malik Jameel Zafar and the supervision of SP Industrial Area was formed.

SSP (Operation) Malik Jameel Zafar and SP Industrial Area Zeb Khan, addressing a joint press conference, said that when the position of suspects was located near Jhangi Syedan, a heavy contingent of police was deployed around the location. In the meantime, the complainant witnessed the car of his son appearing from Peshawar Road and informed the police but the accused opened fire at police party. During cross firing police officer Muhammad Khurram was seriously injured, while the co-accused Musawar Khan was also injured in the cross-firing.

Police team arrested the accused Musawar Khan, Ansar Ali and a woman accused Shizak Fayaz, and recovered a Kalashnikov, one 9 mm pistol one 30-bore pistol with ammunition, and the vehicle used in the crime from their possession.

After the identification of the arrested suspects, the hostage Numan Akbar was recovered safely, while the accused Musawar Khan succumbed to his injuries and died in the hospital during treatment.

Earlier, Deputy Inspector General Police (DIG) Operations, Syed Shahzad Nadeem Bokhari when contacted told this correspondent the captors identified as Ansaar Ali and his wife Shezik hailing from Peshawar, trapped the young man, Nauman Akbar who was working in Saudi Arabia. The female accused Shezik Fayaz developed relations with Nauman on WhatsApp and invited him to come back to Pakistan to meet her. The victim reached Pakistan and went to her home where she along with her husband Ansaar Ali were waiting for him. As he entered her house, her husband held him at gunpoint and tortured him inhumanly. He was later tied with roped and confined to a room.

On the same day, the couple decided to shift the victim to Jhangi Syedan, Islamabad where another character of the kidnapping episode was residing. SSP (Operation) Malik Jameel Zafar and SP Industrial Area Zeb Khan said that Islamabad police formed a strategy.

However, on sensing they had been traced the captors opened fire on a police party and injured a policeman, but the police retaliated and hit the captor with a bullet in his chest. Both, the captor and the policemen, were shifted to PIMS where the captor succumbed to his injury while Shezik and Nauman Gul were shifted to the Noor Police Station and recorded their statements.

DIG (Operations) said that the police deployed to hunt the captors down performed professionally according to the plan and made a big achievement.