TEHRAN: Iranian authorities have banned a dozen women actors from working for failing to observe the Islamic republic´s strict dress code which includes mandatory headscarves, an official said on Wednesday.
“Those who do not follow the law, will not be allowed to work,” Iran´s Culture and Islamic Guidance Minister Mohammad Mehdi Esmaili told reporters after the weekly cabinet meeting. On Tuesday, Iranian media reported that a dozen actresses who were found to be violating the hijab law -- among them Taraneh Alidoosti, Katayoun Riahi and Fatemeh Motamed-Aria -- “will not be allowed to play roles in movies”.
Alidoosti and Riahi were among the public figures who were briefly detained during last year´s widespread protests over the death in custody of 22-year-old Iranian Kurd Mahsa Amini.
Activists for and against Planned Parenthood demonstrate as the US Supreme Court hears oral arguments in South...
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh listens to remarks at U.S. Vice President JD Vance's residence during a...
Rubble lies near a pagoda damaged during a strong earthquake, in Mandalay, Myanmar, March 29, 2025. —...
Military personnel stand guard at a nuclear facility in the Zardanjan area of Isfahan, Iran, April 19, 2024....
New York City Mayor Eric Adams looks on during a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan in New York City, March...
Secretary of State Marco Rubio attends a joint press conference with Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness, in...