Govt, opposition trade barbs over sugar crisis inquiry report: Imran vows action after getting forensic reports by month-end
ISLAMABAD: Following the release of inquiry reports into the recent sugar and wheat crises naming some political bigwigs from the ruling party and its allies as beneficiaries, Prime Minister Imran Khan on Sunday pledged action against those responsible for the price hike and shortages of the commodities after receiving detailed forensic reports of preliminary findings due later this month.
“I await the detailed forensic reports now by the high-powered commission, which will come out on 25 April, before taking action. InshaAllah, after these reports come out no powerful lobby will be able to profiteer at the expense of our public,” the Prime Minister said in a series of tweets.
He said it was unprecedented in the country’s history that preliminary reports into sudden price hike of those commodities were immediately released without alteration or tampering. Previously, he added, the political clout with vested interests lacked the moral courage to order and make such reports public.
Separately, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Information Firdous Ashiq Awan said on Sunday Rs22 billion subsidy was granted by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) during its last four years.
The PM’s aide, at a press conference in Sialkot, said Shahbaz Sharif’s son Suleman Shahbaz had also been named in the report. “The report says Suleman was paid subsidy amounting to more than Rs1billion. Action will be taken against anyone whose name has been identified in the report,” she said.
Responding to Awan’s statement, Suleman said there was no truth to the figures quoted in the report. “These figures were planted by Imran Khan and his cronies,” he said.
Meanwhile, Leader of Opposition in the National Assembly Shahbaz Sharif on Sunday described the inquiry report as an “indictment” against the Prime Minister and Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar.
While Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) spokesperson Marriyum Aurangzeb sought immediate action against those involved in the crises. She said the Prime Minister should not wait till April 25.
-
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony