Libya shipwreck kills 18 migrants, 50 still missing
Bodies found on Alaghila Beach near Tobruk; IOM cites reports of dozens more unaccounted for
At least 18 migrants have died and 50 remain missing after a shipwreck off the coast of eastern Libya near the city of Tobruk over the weekend, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) said on Tuesday, citing local reports.
Ten survivors have been accounted for so far, the IOM said.
Tobruk is a coastal city near the border with Egypt.
A diplomatic source from the Egyptian consulate in Benghazi in eastern Libya told Reuters by phone that the migrants are from Egypt.
The diplomat said 10 bodies were identified and transferred back home, while the survivors were being held in an anti-illegal migration facility.
A Libyan Coast Guard official said the bodies of migrants were found in Alaghila Beach, some 25 kilometres east of Tobruk.
Since the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi in a Nato-backed uprising in 2011, Libya has become a transit country for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty across the desert and over the Mediterranean to Europe.
"This latest tragedy is a stark reminder of the deadly risks people are forced to take in search of safety and opportunity. Libya remains a major transit point for migrants and refugees, many of whom face exploitation, abuse, and life-threatening journeys," the IOM said.
-
Quinton Aaron reveals why he does not want to speak to wife Margarita ever again
-
Why Mikaela Shiffrin celebrated Olympic Gold with Taylor Swift song?
-
Political tensions steal spotlight at Berlin Film Festival closing ceremony
-
Hong Kong touts stability,unique trade advantages as Trump’s global tariff sparks market volatility
-
Friedrich Merz heads to China for high stakes talks in an effort to reset strained trade relations
-
Nvidia CEO praises Elon Musk, calls him an ‘extraordinary engineer'
-
Conan O'Brien speaks first time after Rob Reiner's killing
-
Eric Dane drops raw confession for Rebecca Gayheart in final interview