Turkiye says dozen soldiers die from methane in Iraq
Other soldiers also exposed to gas have been taken to the hospital for treatment, says defence ministry
Twelve Turkish soldiers died after being exposed to methane gas during a search operation in a cave in northern Iraq, the defence ministry said on Monday.
In a statement, the ministry said the incident took place on Sunday during a mission to locate the remains of a Turkish soldier killed during a military operation against the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).
Other soldiers also exposed to the gas in the cave have been taken to the hospital for treatment, the ministry said.
The incident comes at a sensitive time, with Turkiye in talks to end the conflict with the Kurds after the PKK militant group agreed to halt its decades-long armed struggle.
The conflict, which began in 1984, has cost more than 40,000 lives.
It did not explain the origin of the methane gas in the caves.
"During a search operation in a cave... previously known to have been used as a hospital... 19 of our personnel were exposed to methane gas," it had said on Sunday.
It did not give any information about the condition of the other seven soldiers who were exposed to the gas, but said a farewell ceremony for the 12 victims was held at an airport in southeastern Turkiye.
The soldier whose body they were searching for was killed as Turkish troops were conducting Operation Claw Lock, a four-month sweep that began in April 2022 to root out Kurdish PKK militants holed up in caves along the border.
The methane incident occurred on Sunday as a delegation from the pro-Kurdish DEM party was meeting jailed PKK founder Abdullah Ocalan, who — in a rare move — extended his condolences over the deaths.
"This incident caused Mr Ocalan and all of us deep sadness," a delegation statement said, offering condolences "to their families and relatives".
— With additional input from AFP
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
-
Search for Savannah Guthrie’s abducted mom enters unthinkable phase
-
Barack Obama addresses UFO mystery: Aliens are ‘real’ but debunks Area 51 conspiracy theories
-
Rosie O’Donnell secretly returned to US to test safety