US-Iran talks postponed, new date 'depends on Washington’s approach'
Iranian official says US sanctions during nuclear talks "not helping the sides to resolve the nuclear dispute"
DUBAI: A fourth round of talks between the United States and Iran, which had been due to take place in Rome on Saturday, has been postponed and a new date will be set "depending on the US approach", a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Thursday.
"US sanctions on Iran during the nuclear talks are not helping the sides to resolve the nuclear dispute through diplomacy," the official told Reuters.
"Depending on the US approach, the date of the next round of talks will be announced."
Oman, which mediated earlier sessions of the US-Iran talks, said on Thursday the next round of nuclear discussions provisionally planned for May 3 would be rescheduled for "logistical reasons".
However, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters that the United States had never confirmed its participation in the fourth round of talks in Rome.
The source said the timing and venue of the next round of talks have yet to be confirmed but are expected in the near future.
Earlier on Thursday, Iran accused the US of "contradictory behaviour and provocative statements" after Washington warned Tehran of consequences for backing Yemen's Houthis and imposed new oil-related sanctions on it in the midst of nuclear talks.
Separately, Iran's foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran would continue to engage "seriously and resolutely" in result-oriented negotiations with the US, state media reported.
US President Donald Trump , who has threatened to attack Iran if diplomacy fails, has signalled confidence in clinching a new pact with the Islamic Republic that would block Tehran's path to a nuclear bomb.
Trump, who has restored a "maximum pressure" campaign on Tehran since February, ditched a 2015 nuclear pact between Iran and six world powers in 2018 during his first term and reimposed crippling sanctions on Iran.
Iran has far exceeded the 2015 agreement's curbs on its uranium enrichment since the US exited the pact and European countries share Washington's concern that Tehran could seek an atomic bomb. Iran says its programme is peaceful.
Iran and three European powers - Britain, France and Germany - were scheduled to meet in Rome on Friday to improve strained ties over Tehran's disputed nuclear programme during this time of high-stakes talks between Tehran and Washington, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Wednesday.
-
Quinton Aaron reveals why he does not want to speak to wife Margarita ever again
-
Why Mikaela Shiffrin celebrated Olympic Gold with Taylor Swift song?
-
Political tensions steal spotlight at Berlin Film Festival closing ceremony
-
Hong Kong touts stability,unique trade advantages as Trump’s global tariff sparks market volatility
-
Friedrich Merz heads to China for high stakes talks in an effort to reset strained trade relations
-
Nvidia CEO praises Elon Musk, calls him an ‘extraordinary engineer'
-
Conan O'Brien speaks first time after Rob Reiner's killing
-
Eric Dane drops raw confession for Rebecca Gayheart in final interview