France mosque murder suspect arrested in Italy: prosecutor
European arrest warrant will be issued for suspect's transfer across border to France, says prosecutor
A man suspected of stabbing a young Malian to death in a mosque in southern France and filming his victim writhing in agony has surrendered to police in Italy, a prosecutor told AFP on Monday.
The suspect, "Olivier A.", a French national born in Lyon in 2004, "surrendered himself to a police station in Pistoia" near Florence, on Sunday, Abdelkrim Grini, the prosecutor of the southern city of Ales, who is in charge of the case, told AFP.
"This is very satisfying for me as a prosecutor. Faced with the effectiveness of the measures put in place, the suspect had no option but to hand himself in, and that is the best thing he could have done," said Grini.
A European arrest warrant will be issued for his transfer across the border to France, the prosecutor said.
More than 70 French police officers had been mobilised since Friday to "locate and arrest" the perpetrator, considered "potentially extremely dangerous", the prosecutor said.
"After boasting about his act, after practically claiming responsibility for it, he made comments that would suggest he intended to commit similar acts again," Grini had said on Sunday.
The suspect is from a Bosnian family, unemployed, and with ties to the southern Gard region. He lived in the small town of La Grande Combe which lies north of Ales.
"He was someone who had remained under the radar of the justice system and the police, and who had never been in the news until these tragic events," Grini had said on Sunday.
In La Grand-Combe, more than 1,000 people gathered on Sunday for a silent march in memory of the victim, Aboubakar Cisse, who was in his twenties.
They marched from the Khadidja Mosque, where the stabbing occurred, to the town hall.
Several hundred people also gathered in Paris later Sunday, including three-time presidential candidate Jean-Luc Melenchon, who accused Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau of cultivating an "Islamophobic climate".
"Racism and hatred based on religion will never have a place in France," President Emmanuel Macron said on X on Sunday, expressing "the nation's support" to the victim's family and "to our Muslim compatriots".
-
US-Iran agreed on principal deal to open Strait of Hormuz in landmark negotiations
-
Nobel Peace laureate Maria Corina Machado to return Venezuela for 2026 presidential run
-
Nancy Guthrie update: Spotlight on Savannah Guthrie's mom past newsroom life
-
China launches three-crew spaceflight as part of 'Shenzhou-23 mission'
-
Why majority Americans are unhappy with Trump’s Ballroom plan—Explained
-
Trump says 'time is on our side,' defends Iran talks and slams Obama deal
-
Australia: Man dies after shark attack in Queensland
-
'World will get some good news in next few hours'
-
Trump hails major progress in peace agreement with Iran
-
Nasire Best: Suspect killed in gunfire exchange near White House
-
Kai Trump reveals how grandfather President Donald Trump's one gesture melts her heart
-
US and Iran report progress on talks ending war
-
UFOs damage human brains? Stanford scientist makes chilling claims
-
Strait of Hormuz toll revenue talks: Iran, Oman discuss proposal despite US warning
-
Federal authorities uncover alleged assassination plot targeting Ivanka Trump
-
New US UFO files prompt ‘Deep State classic’ claim from Rep. Tim Burchett–Here’s why
-
Vanessa Trump gives special shoutout to beau Tiger Woods amid cancer battle
-
Activists push Canada to deny entry to Israeli arms manufacturers