Iran giving talks with US 'genuine chance', says foreign ministry
"We intend to assess the other side’s intent and resolve this Saturday," says Esmaeil Baqaei
DUBAI: Iran is giving talks with its arch foe the United States this weekend "a genuine chance", the Iranian foreign ministry's spokesperson posted on X on Friday.
US President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement on Monday that Washington and Tehran were poised to begin direct talks in Oman on Saturday over Iran's nuclear program, warning that the Islamic Republic would be in "great danger" if the talks were unsuccessful.
The announcement caused some confusion because Iran had said the talks would be indirect with the Omanis acting as mediators.
Iran, previously stating it wouldn't be bullied into negotiations, said that the US should value this decision despite "their prevailing confrontational hoopla."
"We intend to assess the other side’s intent and resolve this Saturday," Esmaeil Baqaei added.
Iran's state media said the talks would be led by Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and US Presidential Envoy Steve Witkoff, with the intermediation of Oman's foreign minister, Badr al-Busaidi.
-
China confirms visa-free travel for UK, Canada nationals
-
Bad Bunny's star power explodes tourism searches for his hometown
-
Murder suspect kills himself after woman found dead in Missouri
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed