Philippines urges US to return ‘trophies for atrocities’
MANILA: Manila’s defence chief renewed calls Friday for the return of church bells seized by the US military more than a century ago, urging Washington to relinquish what he called “trophies for atrocities”.
American forces took three bells from the Catholic church of Balangiga town in 1901 as war booty in what historians said was a particularly brutal military operation in the former US colony. The US embassy in Manila announced earlier this month it would send them back but gave no timetable for their return, following a public campaign by Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. But reports that some US legislators would oppose the move prompted Philippine Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana to join calls for the bells to be brought home. “We call on the American people not to allow the bells to serve as trophies for atrocities that were committed by both sides on Philippine soil a very long time ago,” he said in a statement. “The return of the Balangiga Bells will be a strong indicator of the sincerity of the Americans in forging a lasting relationship with the Filipino people.”
-
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton -
Microsoft CEO Shares How Gates Doubted $1bn OpenAI Investment -
Milo Ventimiglia Calls Fatherhood 'pretty Wild Experience' As He Expects Second Baby With Wife Jarah Mariano -
Chinese Scientists Unveil Advanced AI Model To Support Deep-space Exploration -
Anthropic’s New AI Tool Wipes Billions Off Cybersecurity Stocks -
Trump Announces He Is Sending A Hospital Ship To Greenland Amid Rising Diplomatic Tensions -
'Never Have I Ever' Star Maitreyi Ramakrishnan Lifts The Lid On How She Avoids Drama At Coffee Shops Due To Her Name -
Inside Prince William’s Plans For Prince Harry: What Will Happen To Duke Once He’s King -
Chyler Leigh Pays Moving Homage To 'Grey’s Anatomy' Co-star Eric Dane: 'He Was Amazing' -
Did You Know Tech CEOs Limit Screen Time For Their Own Kids? -
Matthew Lillard Admits Fashion Trends Are Not His 'forte' -
SpaceX Launches Another Batch Of Satellites From Cape Canaveral During Late-night Mission On Saturday -
Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Get Pulled Into Parents’ Epstein Row: ‘At Least Stop Clinging!’ -
Inside Kim Kardashian's Brain Aneurysm Diagnosis -
Farmers Turn Down Millions As AI Data Centres Target Rural Land -
Trump Announces A Rise In Global Tariffs To 15% In Response To Court Ruling, As Trade Tensions Intensify