Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
December 4, 2019

Naqeebullah Mehsud’s father laid to rest in South Waziristan


December 4, 2019

WANA: Mohammad Khan, the father of Naqeebullah Mahsud who was killed in a staged police encounter in Karachi in January 2018, was laid to rest at his ancestral graveyard in Makeen in South Waziristan.

He had passed away on Monday at the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) in Rawalpindi on Monday after battling cancer for the last several months. His son Faridullah Mahsud said his father had been under treatment at the CMH Rawalpindi for the last nearly six months.

The deceased Mohammad Khan’s funeral prayer was held at the Town Hall ground in Tank where it was brought from Rawalpindi. Civil and military officials, tribal elders, and a large number of people attended the funeral of Mohammad Khan.

The body was later sent to his native Makeen in South Waziristan where the funeral prayer was again held. It was also attended by a large number of villagers, well-wishers and relatives. He was buried in his ancestral graveyard.

It may be mentioned that Naqeebullah Mahsud was killed in a fake police encounter in Karachi in January 2018. The Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Rao Anwar, was alleged to have staged the encounter near Shah Latif Town in Karachi in which the young Naqeebullah Mahsud, who was a shopkeeper and an aspiring model, was killed.

Rao Anwar had claimed that Naqeebullah Mehsudwas a militant affiliated with the outlawed Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), but the claim was disputed by his relatives, who said he was fond of modelling and had nothing to do with militancy. The killing triggered protests all over the country and provided a platform to the Pashtun Tahafuz Movement (PTM) to expand its following.

Mohammad Khan had been waging a legal battle to get justice and seek conviction of Rao Anwar.

He had pointed out that men in uniform, meaning the police, had murdered his son.

In his media interviews, he had refused to talk against the national security institutions, including the army, and praised the military for restoring peace in Waziristan by undertaking action against the militants. He had expressed the hope that the prime minister, army chief and the chief justice would honour their promises to bring the killers of his son to justice. He had stated that he won’t let anyone collect funds in his son’s name and exploit his case to promote their vested interest.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa, who had met Mohammad Khan and assured him that justice would be done in his case, offered condolences to his family on his death. He added that efforts to ensure provision of justice as promised to him shall be pursued.

Topstory minus plus

Opinion minus plus

Newspost minus plus

Editorial minus plus

National minus plus

World minus plus

Sports minus plus

Business minus plus

Karachi minus plus

Lahore minus plus

Islamabad minus plus

Peshawar minus plus