close
Advertisement

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Entertainment

Web Desk
June 24, 2021

Prince Charles paid huge sum to Harry upon exit: Clarence House disproves duke’s claim

Web Desk
Thu, Jun 24, 2021

Prince Charles was at the center of backlash recently after his youngest son Prince Harry had claimed that he was financially cut off from the family after he and Meghan Markle parted ways. 

That being said, reports have now revealed otherwise. Accounts shown by a senior spokesperson of the Clarence House reveal that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were allocated huge sums of money when they departed from the British royal family.

Despite walking away from the royal fold, Harry and Meghan were still listed as receiving money from the Prince of Wales’ Duchy of Cornwall income, last year at the end of March.

“As we’ll all remember in January 2020 when the duke and duchess announced that they were going to move away from the working royal family, the duke said that they would work towards becoming financially independent,” said the Clarence House rep.

“The Prince of Wales allocated a substantial sum to support them with this transition. That funding ceased in the summer of last year. The couple is now financially independent,” they went on to say.

Speaking about the contradicting claims made by Harry during his and Meghan’s Oprah Winfrey interview, earlier this year, the spokesperson said: “I wouldn’t acknowledge that they are dramatically different. All I can tell you are the facts.”

Following the release of the statement by the Clarence House rep, a spokesperson for the Sussexes also issued a statement, saying: “You are conflating two different timelines and it’s inaccurate to suggest that there’s a contradiction.”

“The duke’s comments during the Oprah interview were in reference to the first quarter of the fiscal reporting period in the UK, which starts annually in April,” it was claimed.

“This is the same date that the ‘transitional year’ of the Sandringham agreement began and is aligned with the timeline that Clarence House referenced,” they added.