Women's World Cup games moved out of Bengaluru months after tragedy
Mumbai will instead be one of four Indian venues for 50-over tournament starting on September 30
The Bengaluru stadium where 11 cricket fans died during celebrations in June will no longer host Women's World Cup matches including the opening game, the sport's governing body said on Friday.
Mumbai will instead be one of the four Indian venues for the 50-over tournament starting on September 30, along with the Sri Lankan capital Colombo.
The International Cricket Council cited "unforeseen circumstances" for moving games away from Chinnaswamy Stadium, without saying the specific reasons.
However, local media has said that police denied permission to the Karnataka State Cricket Association to host major matches at the stadium.
On June 4 a victory parade by hundreds of thousands of fans for IPL champions Royal Challengers Bengaluru turned deadly, with fans as young as 14 crushed to death and about 50 others hurt as supporters swarmed outside the gates of the venue.
The stadium was subsequently deemed "unsafe" by a judicial commission to host large crowds.
The opening match of the World Cup, between co-hosts India and Sri Lanka, will now be played in Guwahati.
Bengaluru had been scheduled to stage up to five World Cup games including the November 2 final, depending on whether Pakistan reach the title decider.
Pakistan will play all their matches in Colombo as part of a compromise deal.
The final will now be played in either Mumbai or Colombo.
-
From grief to glory: Mikaela Shiffrin’s road to historic 2026 Olympic slalom gold
-
Winter Olympics 2026: Arianna Fontana makes history as Italy’s most decorated Olympian
-
Ex-UFC fighter Tiki Ghosn knocks out streamer DeenTheGreat in viral clip
-
David Goyette’s hockey career faces major blow after 20 game AHL ban
-
Winter Olympics 2026: Mark Callan defies age as moonwalking ice sensation dazzles crowd
-
Women’s curling results: USA falls to winless Italy at Winter Olympics
-
Elana Meyers Taylor and Kaillie Humphries shine in monobob final
-
Ilia Malinin breaks silence on ‘vile online hate’ after Winter Olympics 2026 setback