Shahbaz family plea for unfreezing assets adjourned till 18th
LAHORE: An accountability court Wednesday adjourned the hearing until June 18 on an application moved by the Opposition Leader Shahbaz Sharif’s family seeking unfreezing of their assets.
Previously, the court had sought arguments from the NAB and complainant but arguments did not take place as the judge concerned was on leave. Earlier, the NAB had submitted its reply in this connection. The NAB in its reply stated that the money-laundering investigations against Shahbaz Sharif, Salman Shahbaz, Hamza Shahbaz and others are under way. The NAB said Shahbaz made assets in the name of his wives. However, the family failed to disclose sources of their income.
The NAB said it is mandatory according to the Finance Act and the Money-Laundering Act to disclose sources of income. On the other hand, Shahbaz’s family had moved court against the NAB’s act of freezing their assets arguing that it is illegal to freeze assets during the course of investigations. After receiving the NAB reply, the court of Jawadul Hassan summoned both the parties for arguments on June 18.
It is pertinent to mention that on December 11, 2019, an accountability court had confirmed the National Accountability Bureau Lahore’s orders to freeze the properties owned by PML-N President Shahbaz Sharif, his sons Hamza Shahbaz and Salman Shahbaz and other family members in connection with an investigation involving income beyond means and money-laundering.
The court in its orders observed that the proportion of “the Shahbaz family wealth from 2003 to 2018 prima facie is not proportionate to the known sources of income of the accused, which has not been explained by the accused”. The judgment stated: “At this stage, even the provisions of the Protection of Economic Reforms Act, 1992, would not be helpful to the accused party unless the sources of the said payments are disclosed by them”.
The orders also stated that the NAB orders against the Shahbaz family are supported by statements given by the approvers Muhammad Mushtaq alias Cheeni, Yasir Mushtaq, Shahid Rafique and Aftab Mehmood. The Shahbaz family can file objection to the court orders within 14 days. Earlier, on December 3, the NAB had issued orders to freeze 23 properties owned by Shahbaz Sharif, Hamza, Salman and other family members, all accused of amassing assets beyond means.
-
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Eva Mendes Shared Bedroom Photos For Ryan Gosling On Valentine’s -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show