Two cops among six injured as farmers evicted from land in Charsadda
CHARSADDA: Six persons, including two policemen, sustained injuries during a police action to evict farmers from around 200 acre of land in Tangi area on the directives of the Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Thursday, official sources said.
The sources said the police launched the operation to get the land vacated from the farmers. Additional contingents from other districts were also deployed in the area during the action. The police also arrested 100 persons, including local political activists, under the Maintenance of Public Order. The farmers made announcements on loudspeakers of mosques when the police reached the area at 3am to launch the operation. The farmers wanted the people to come out of their homes to resist eviction.
The farmers’ families, including women, children and elderly people came out of their homes holding copies of the Holy Quran to stop the police from the operation.
They were chanting slogans against the government and the landowners. The protesters said their forefathers had levelled the uncultivable land for farming around 80 years back. They said that the landowners wanted the land back when the famers worked on it for decades and made it cultivable and fertile.
They were demanding resolution of the issue through peaceful means. The farmers' representatives reminded that that they had resisted such moves in the past and would not hesitate to render sacrifices for their rights. The protesters also announced boycott of the upcoming anti-polio drive in the area as a mark of protest. The landowners had approached the court with the plea that the farmers had occupied their land. They wanted the court's orders to get the land vacated from farmers.
Reports said that 430 families were occupying more than a hundred acres of land in Tangi tehsil in Charsadda district. Last year also, an attempt was made to get the land vacated when the landowners won a lawsuit, but its didn't succeed.
Later, speaking at a press conference, Deputy Commissioner Muntazir Khan and District Police Officer Zahoor Afridi said the administration got vacated 285 kanals of land from farmers on the directives of the PHC.
They said that the peaceful action was taken after six contempt of court notices were issued to the administration. They explained that the police and district administration had no grudge against the farmers, but the action had to be taken for the restoration of the writ of the government.
Deputy Commissioner Muntazir Khan said that 1,200 security personnel took part in the operation. He claimed that the action was peaceful and only three policemen sustained minor injuries during resistance by the farmers.
He said that the anti-polio drive would be made successful at any cost. However, Member Provincial Assembly Khalid Khan Mohmand, who belongs to the Qaumi Watan Party (QWP), rejected the official claim that the administration had got vacated the land from farmers.
-
Eric Dane’s Friends Initiate GoFundMe To 'support' His Two Daughters After His Death At 53 -
Internet Erupts After Candace Owens Claims Elon Musk And Sam Altman Are ‘not Human’ -
Will Princess Beatrice, Eugenie Stay In Contact With Andrew? Source Speaks Out -
‘AI Revolution Is Coming Fast & US Has No Clue,’ Bernie Sanders Warns Of Speed Of Disruption -
Hong Kong Touts Stability,unique Trade Advantages As Trump’s Global Tariff Sparks Market Volatility -
‘Miracle On Ice’ Redux? US Men Chase First Olympic Hockey Gold In 46 Years Against Canada -
Friedrich Merz Heads To China For High Stakes Talks In An Effort To Reset Strained Trade Relations -
Astronauts Face Life Threatening Risk On Boeing Starliner, NASA Says -
Hailey Bieber Reveals How Having Ovarian Cysts Is 'never Fun' -
Kayla Nicole Looks Back On Travis Kelce Split, Calls It ‘right Person, Wrong Time’ -
Prince William And Kate Middleton Extend Support Message After Curling Team Reaches Olympic Gold Final -
Nvidia CEO Praises Elon Musk, Calls Him An ‘extraordinary Engineer' -
Shia LaBeouf's Mugshot Released After Mardi Gras Arrest On Battery Allegations In New Orleans -
Timothee Chalamet Felt '17 Again' After Reunion With 'Interstellar' Director Christopher Nolan -
Conan O'Brien Speaks First Time After Rob Reiner's Killing -
Giant Tortoise Reintroduced To Island After Almost 200 Years