UK delivers final blow to UAE’s hopes of acquiring Telegraph newspaper
In response, the government said last week it would legislate to stop foreign states from owning newspapers
LONDON: Britain said on Tuesday it would refer the UAE-led takeover of the Telegraph for a lengthy review, a move that will effectively kill the deal because a law banning foreign governments owning newspapers is due to come into force in coming months.
Abu Dhabi-backed RedBird IMI took control of the Telegraph titles and the Spectator magazine in December when it helped repay the Barclay family’s 1.2 billion pound.
British lawmakers and journalists have vehemently opposed the UAE’s takeover of the Telegraph, which is nicknamed the “Torygraph” for its long-standing support for the right-leaning Conservative, or Tory, Party. They say the acquisition of one of Britain’s most famous newspapers by a foreign state, particularly the UAE, would threaten press freedom.
In response, the government said last week it would legislate to stop foreign states from owning newspapers.
Media Secretary Lucy Frazer, who was examining the takeover’s compliance with competition and media ownership rules, said on Tuesday she was minded to refer it to a lengthy inquiry on the grounds of accurate news presentation and free expression.
Media regulator Ofcom had found that Abu Dhabi’s IMI may have an incentive to influence “the accurate presentation of news and free expression of opinion in the Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph newspapers”, she said.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'