Out this week
- Star-Crossed by Kacey Musgraves: Fifth album by the country singer; follows 2018’s Golden Hour; includes the songs ‘Justified’, ‘Cherry Blossom’, ‘Simple Times’, and ‘If This Was a Movie’.
- Friends That Break Your Heart by James Blake: The English singer-songwriter’s fifth album; comes after 2019’s Assume Form; includes the singles ‘Say What You Will’ and ‘Life Is Not the Same’.
- The Card Counter (starring Oscar Isaac, Tiffany Haddish, Tye Sheridan, Willem Dafoe) – crime drama; a former serviceman turned gambler (Isaac) tries to reform a young man (Sheridan) seeking revenge on a mutual enemy from his past.
- Queenpins (starring Kristen Bell, Vince Vaughn, Paul Walter Hauser, Kirby Howell-Baptiste) – comedy; two housewives create a coupon scam.
- Kate (starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Miku Martineau, Woody Harrelson) – action; after being poisoned, a dying assassin (Winstead) seeks revenge on her killers before she dies.
- Small Engine Repair (starring Jon Bernthal, John Pollono, Shea Whigham, Jordana Spiro) – black comedy; three lifelong friends agree to do a favour for a young woman they all like.
Colin Andrew Firth
- Born on 10th September 1960 in Hampshire, England.
- Is the eldest of three children; has a sister, Kate, and a brother, Jonathan, both of whom are actors.
- Became interested in acting as a child and decided to become a professional actor in his teens.
- Was part of up and coming British actors dubbed the Brit Pack in the mid ‘80s.
- Gained recognition for playing Mr. Darcy in the television adaptation of Pride and Prejudice (1995).
- Has since appeared in films including The English Patient (1996), Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001), The Importance of Being Earnest (2002), Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003), Love Actually (2003), Mamma Mia! (2008) and its sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again! (2018), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011), and Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) as well as its sequel Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017).
- Upcoming projects include the war drama film Operation Mincemeat and the crime drama streaming series The Staircase.
- Married Livia Giuggioli in 1997; the separated in 2019; they have two sons, Luca (born in 2001) and Matteo (born in 2003). Also has a son (born in 1990) with actress Meg Tilly.
- Is a vocal supporter of the rights of tribal peoples and refugees.
Cast: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Colman Domingo, Vanessa Williams, Tony Todd, Virginia Madsen
Director: Nia DaCosta
Tagline: Say it.
- Supernatural slasher thriller; an artist (Abdul-Mateen II) unknowingly opens a door to a complex past that unleashes a wave of violence.
- Is the fourth film in the Candyman film series, and a direct sequel to the original 1992 film of the same name.
- Was delayed three times from an original June 2020 date due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Had a $25 million budget; has grossed over $32 million in a week.
- Has received positive reviews from critics, earning praise for its blend of social commentary and horror.
- Jordan Peele served as a writer and a producer for the project.
- Score composed by Robert A. A. Lowe.