Out this week
- Born Here Live Here Die Here by Luke Bryan: Seventh album by the American country singer; comes after 2017’s What Makes Country; includes the songs ‘Little Less Broken’ and ‘Where Are We Goin'’.
- An American Pickle (starring Seth Rogen, Sarah Snook, Jorma Taccone) – comedy drama; after being accidentally preserved for a century, an immigrant worker (Rogen) at a pickle factory wakes up in modern day Brooklyn.
- The Tax Collector (starring Bobby Soto, Shia LaBeouf, George Lopez) – crime thriller; a tax collector (Soto) for a crime lord must protect his family after his boss’ old rival shows up.
- Words on Bathroom Walls (starring Charlie Plummer, Taylor Russell, Andy García, AnnaSophia Robb) – drama; a teenager (Plummer) with paranoid schizophrenia tries to deal with the challenges he faces.
- Conan O'Brien (@ConanOBrien): Idea: we hire Jeff Goldblum to calmly talk this virus into chilling out.
- Tim Carvell (@timcarvell): We’re all going to feel pretty stupid when it turns out the only thing that immunizes you against the Coronavirus is seeing the movie Tenet.
- Kelly Oxford (@kellyoxford): So, yeah, these past few months of existentialism have been cool.
- Born on 7th August 1975 in Benoni, South Africa
- Is an only child.
- Her mother shot and killed her drunk father in self-defence after he attacked her when Charlize was 15; she faced no charges.
- Trained as a ballet dancer.
- Modelled in Europe in her teens before moving to the U.S.
- Gained recognition for her role in the films The Devil's Advocate (1997) and The Cider House Rules (1999). Has since appeared in movies including Monster (2003), North Country (2005), Hancock (2008), Snow White and the Huntsman (2012), Prometheus (2012), Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), The Fate of the Furious (2017), Atomic Blonde (2017), and Bombshell (2019).
- Has suffered several injuries on sets.
- Has two adopted children.
Also born today: Tooba Siddiqui, Abbie Cornish, Eric Johnson, Charlotte Ronson, Samantha Ronson, Michael Shannon
Voice cast: John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Danny DeVito, Ian McKellen, Sylvester Stallone, Raven-Symoné Patrick Warburton
Director: Scott Christian Sava, Tony Bancroft
Tagline: There's a magical adventure in every bite.
- Animation; a family must use a magical box of Animal Crackers to save a circus from being taken over by their evil uncle.
- Is based on the animal-shaped cookie and loosely based on the graphic novel by Sava.
- Was originally set to be released in 2017 but multiple release dates through various distributors were postponed. Netflix eventually bought the distribution rights and released the film in July 2020.
- Has received mixed to positive reviews. Critics found it derivative but lively.
- Score composed by Bear McCreary. Soundtrack includes songs by Toad the Wet Sprocket, Huey Lewis and the News, and Michael Bublé.