Out this week
- Inspired by True Events by Tori Kelly: Third album by the American singer; comes after her sophomore release Hiding Place (2018); includes the single ‘Sorry Would Go a Long Way’.
- Care Package by Drake: Compilation album by the Canadian rapper; includes songs that were previously released as promotional material for several albums.
- Dora and the Lost City of Gold (starring Isabela Moner, Eugenio Derbez, Michael Pe–a, Eva Longoria, Danny Trejo) - adventure, live-action adaptation of Nickelodeon’s television series Dora the Explorer (2000 - present); a teenage explorer (Moner) leads her friends on an adventure to save her parents and solve the mystery behind a lost Inca civilization.
- The Kitchen (starring Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish, Elisabeth Moss) - crime comedy; the wives of Irish mobsters take over the organized crime operations after the FBI arrests their husbands.
- The Art of Racing in the Rain (starring Kevin Costner, Milo Ventimiglia, Amanda Seyfried) - drama; a dog (voiced by Costner) reflects on his relationship with his human family.
- Light of My Life (starring Casey Affleck, Anna Pniowsky, Elisabeth Moss, Tom Bower) - drama; a father (Affleck) disguises his daughter as a boy after a plague wipes out most of the female population.
- Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt): Wake up Coffee
Check to see which city is trending on Twitter; call any loved ones in said city and make sure they’re alive Breakfast
- Andy Lassner (@andylassner): 2 mass shootings in one day. Is America great again yet?
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Emile Hirsch, Margaret Qualley, Timothy Olyphant, Austin Butler, Dakota Fanning, Bruce Dern, Al Pacino
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Tagline: The 9th film from Quentin Tarantino.
- Comedy drama; an aging television actor (DiCaprio) and his stunt double (Pitt) try to make a name for themselves in late ‘60s Hollywood.
- Is built around Hollywood’s golden age and the Manson Family murders.
- Had a budget of around $90 million; has made nearly $80 million in less than two weeks, with its release still awaited in several countries internationally.
- Has received praise from critics who lauded the cast and setting, although the startling ending has divided viewers.
- Margot Robbie, who portrays Sharon Tate, wore some of Tate’s real jewellery which she was given by the late actress’s sister Debra.
- Is Luke Perry’s final film; the actor died of a massive stroke in March this year at the age of 52.
- Is the first Quentin Tarantino film not to be associated with Harvey Weinstein, after the director cut ties with the producer following sexual abuse allegations against the latter in October 2017.
- Born on 9th August 1995 in Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Is the fifth of nine siblings.
- Graduated from the Orange County School of the Arts in 2013.
- Made his acting debut in 2012.
- Started gaining recognition after appearing in the film Paper Town (2015) and the musical drama The Get Down (2016 - 2017).
- Has gone on to appear in the films Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) and Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019).
- Upcoming projects include the romantic drama All the Bright Places (2019).
Also born today: Anna Kendrick, Jessica Capshaw, Rhona Mitra, McG, Eric Bana, Gillian Anderson, Whitney Houston, Melanie Griffith