Brands cut ties with singer-actor Kris Wu after rape allegations
Kris Wu made his Hollywood debut in the 2017
BEIJING: At least 12 brands including international names Bvlgari and Porsche said they had cut ties with Kris Wu after a 19-year-old Chinese student publicly accused the Chinese-Canadian singer-actor of date rape.
The student, Du Meizhu, told Chinese media on Sunday that the 30-year-old star had raped her when she was 17 after plying her with drinks.
Wu, who made his Hollywood debut in the 2017 sci-fi film "XXX: Return of Xander Cage" and was previously a member of K-pop group EXO, denied the accusations.
"I only met Ms Du once at a friend's gathering on Dec. 5, 2020. I didn't force her to drink alcohol," Wu, whose Chinese name is Wu Yifan, said on his social media account on Monday.
The public airing of allegations has caused a social media storm in China, with the hashtag "Du getting Wu to leave the industry" garnering 850 million views.
Du said in a social media post on Sunday she was demanding that Wu quit the entertainment industry.
Du did not say if she had reported the alleged date rape to police but Wu's studio said in a statement on Monday that it had reported Du's accusation to police and had initiated legal action.
(Reuters)
-
Elizabeth Hurley's son Damian breaks silence on mom’s romance with Billy Ray Cyrus
-
Hailey Bieber reveals Justin Bieber's hit song baby Jack is already singing
-
Emily Ratajkowski appears to confirm romance with Dua Lipa's ex Romain Gavras
-
Leighton Meester breaks silence on viral Ariana Grande interaction on Critics Choice Awards
-
Heidi Klum eyes spooky season anthem with Diplo after being dubbed 'Queen of Halloween'
-
Jennifer Aniston’s boyfriend Jim Curtis hints at tensions at home, reveals rules to survive fights
-
Hailey Bieber shares how she protects her mental health while facing endless criticism
-
Amanda Seyfried shares hilarious reaction to discovering second job on 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t sign up for that'