Apple to pledge $100bn for US manufacturing: White House official
Announcement comes as President Donald Trump pursues aggressive tariff and trade agenda
Apple Inc will announce a domestic manufacturing pledge of $100 billion on Wednesday that will focus on bringing more manufacturing to the United States, a White House official said.
The pledge would be a new financial commitment, the official said on the customary condition of anonymity.
It comes as President Donald Trump pursues an aggressive tariff and trade agenda aimed at moving some manufacturing back into the United States.
Apple said in February it would spend $500 billion in US investments in the next four years that will include a giant factory in Texas for artificial intelligence servers while adding about 20,000 research and development jobs across the country.
Apple did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Trump's tariffs cost Apple $800 million in the June quarter and spurred some customers to buy iPhones in late spring this year. Apple has been shifting production of products bound for the US, sourcing iPhones from India and other products such as Macs and Apple Watches from Vietnam.
The ultimate tariff rates many Apple products could face remain in flux, and many of its products are currently exempt.
"Today's announcement with Apple is another win for our manufacturing industry that will simultaneously help reshore the production of critical components to protect America's economic and national security," White House spokeswoman Taylor Rogers said in a statement.
The previously announced $500 billion in expected spending from Apple includes everything from purchases from US suppliers to US filming of television shows and movies for its Apple TV+ service.
Nancy Tengler, CEO and CIO of Laffer Tengler Investments, which holds Apple shares, said the announcement would be a "savvy solution to the president's demand that Apple manufacture all iPhones in the US
"The stock is up on the news, likely a relief rally that (Apple CEO Tim) Cook, who has been largely mute in response to the attacks on the company, is extending an olive branch."
Earlier, White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett told Fox Business Network that Apple was likely to make an investment announcement on Wednesday, as he discussed the financial pledges made by companies and countries under Trump.
-
125-million-year-old dinosaur with never-before-seen spikes stuns scientists in China
-
Scientists stunned as shark appears for first time in Antarctic Southern Ocean waters
-
New study suggests universe can end in ‘Big Crunch’ in 20bn years
-
Hidden Venus: New data discovers massive underground Lava Tube
-
‘Earth is defenseless against city-killer asteroids’: NASA issues stark warning
-
Annular solar eclipse 2026: Where and when to see the ‘Ring of fire’
-
Bright green comet C/2024 E1 nears closest approach before leaving solar system
-
NASA confirms arrival of SpaceX Crew-12 astronauts at the International Space Station