Dozens of Delhi schools receive bomb threats
Hundreds of hoax bomb threats to Indian schools, airports, and railways have been made this year
NEW DELHI: At least 40 schools in Delhi received bomb threat emails on Monday, demanding a $30,000 ransom, according to ANI news agency. Police officials conducted preliminary searches across the school premises in response.
This year, hundreds of bomb threats targeting schools, railway stations, and airports have been reported, most of which were later confirmed as hoaxes.
Airlines and airports in India received 999 hoax bomb threats from the start of the year until mid-November, and 12 people had been arrested during the same period, government data shows.
Two schools got the threatening email on Sunday night, which said multiple bombs were planted inside buildings and would be detonated if the sender was not paid $30,000, according to ANI.
Many other schools received the emails on Monday morning, prompting school authorities to call parents to take the students home for the day.
Parents were seen picking their children up from the gates of some schools as police checked school premises for suspicious items.
Police officials in Delhi did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters.
In May, more than 50 schools in Delhi and the adjoining suburb of Noida received similar bomb threat emails that turned out to be hoaxes.
-
Eric Dane drops raw confession for Rebecca Gayheart in final interview
-
Trump announces new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court setback
-
Tucker Carlson says passport seized, staff member questioned at Israel airport
-
Russia set to block overseas crypto exchanges in sweeping crackdown
-
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs as 'unlawful'
-
Kelly Clarkson explains decision to quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show'
-
Japan: PM Takaichi flags China ‘Coercion,’ pledges defence security overhaul
-
Angorie Rice spills the beans on major details from season 2 of ' The Last Thing He Told Me'