Sacking of cabinet members sets alarm bells ringing for others
PESHAWAR: The sacking of the two members of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa cabinet has set the alarm bells ringing for their colleagues, who are worried about their own future.
Some of the cabinet members remarked there was no guarantee that one would be able to complete his tenure with dignity in the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf government.
Minister for Social Welfare Dr Hisham Inamullah Khan and Adviser to Chief Minister on Revenue and Estate Qalandar Khan Lodhi tendered resignations on Tuesday as sought by Chief Minister Mahmood Khan.
In his resignation letter, Dr Hisham Inamullah thanked Prime Minister Imran Khan and Chief Minister Mahmood Khan for putting trust in him. He vowed to spare no effort to strengthen the party.
According to sources close to Dr Hisham Inamullah, some PTI activists in his native Lakki Marwat district were shocked by his unexpected removal.
They announced to stage a protest against Governor Shah Farman and Federal Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan Ali Amin Gandapur.
However, according to sources, Dr Hisham Inamullah intervened and stopped them, saying it would send a wrong message and people would say as if he was power-hungry.
“Some PTI activists became emotional and vowed to stage a protest rally by blocking the Indus Highway passing through Lakki Marwat. Dr Hisham stopped them and made them understand that was what his political opponents wanted him to do,” a PTI leader told The News in Peshawar.
Pleading anonymity, he said it was a big shock to Dr Hisham but he managed to control his emotions and that of his followers.
He said the day Dr Hisham was asked to resign he was holding a big political gathering in his native town and had brought a large number of JUI workers to PTI.
According to sources close to Prime Minister Imran Khan in Islamabad, Dr Hisham had already informed the prime minister about the alleged negative role of Governor Shah Farman and Ali Amin Gandapur against him.
In his resignation, Dr Hisham alleged that Shah Farman and Gandapur didn’t like his presence in the cabinet.
When reached, Governor Shah Farman dismissed the allegations, saying he had nothing to do with the ministers and their departments.
This correspondent spoke to some of the provincial ministers in Peshawar about the ongoing situation.
Two of them said they had been hearing for the last few months that one or two uninfluential cabinet members would be sacked to pave the way for the influential ones.
“There were these rumours but frankly speaking I didn’t know who would be axed. In PTI, a minister doesn’t expect he would complete his tenure as anything can happen,” one minister remarked.
According to the ministers, there was no clear-cut standard to judge the performance of the cabinet members.
“Most of the cabinet members preferred to focus on their respective constituencies rather than sitting in offices and issuing statements. In PTI, if you come to the limelight, then you will have to pay the price as certain elements feel threatened,” another cabinet member said.
A third one said had there been any check on the performance of the ministers, Taimur Jhagra would have been sent home long ago.
He said he was surprised when he came to know that the two cabinet members were sacked on the basis of poor performance.
“Would you believe whenever I visit my constituency, I prefer to stay away from hospitals due to a large number of complaints against the poor services. But Taimur Jhagra has been allotted two important portfolios, finance and health as he has links,” he said.
He claimed the chief minister was not consulted to sack the two cabinet members, saying if it was up to the chief minister, he would have fired some other people.
-
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful' -
Gemma Chan Reflects On 'difficult Subject Matter' Portrayed In 'Josephine' -
Blood Falls In Antarctica? What Causes The Mysterious Red Waterfall Hidden In Ice -
AI Power Play: Nvidia Moves To Invest $30 Billion In OpenAI -
Will Savannah Guthrie Ever Return To 'Today' Show? Here's What Insiders Predict -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos