close
Monday April 15, 2024

Factory fire claims watchman’s life

Some water bowsers were empty while others were not functioning properly at the time of the incident, says chief fire brigade official

By our correspondents
September 09, 2015
Karachi
A 60-year-old man was burnt to death on Tuesday after a fire broke out in a garment factory, situated in SITE, allegedly due to a short circuit.
Abdul Ghaffar was posted as a watchman at the factory.
The fire which broke out at the JB Industries, situated near Ghani Chowrangi in SITE, was stated to be of the second category as it managed to engulf the entire building within minutes.
10 fire engines of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) were used to put the fire out.
Chief fire brigade official, Ehtesham, while talking to The News informed that the fire tenders were rushed to the scene immediately after the information was received. However, he confessed to a few water bowsers to be completely empty, while a few others were not working properly.
A wall of the fourth floor had to be razed in order for the fire fighters to enter the upper floors of the building.
Electricity and gas connections to the factory were disconnected by the K-Electric and the Sui Gas officials.
It took the fire fighters around seven hours to completely put the fire out.
The deceased’s body was shifted to the Civil Hospital for completion of medico-legal formalities.